Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cancel culture

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
I keep thinking about cancel culture and the fact that some musicians I have listened to are actually controversial and may have made mistakes and people then cancel them online. it makes me feel so anxious. last night i googled all my fav bands to check if they were good people and i did it again today with a musician i liked who ended up being bad. I may have to delete them from my insta feed now. I just feel like I am ruining and self distructing myself again. Sorry :(
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    It sounds like a tough situation for you to be in @Amy22 you don't need to apologise! It does sound like you're in a bit of a cycle, is there anything you can do as a distraction to keep you from checking these things or is it really pervasive?
  • Options
    Hi @lunarcat522 thanks for getting in touch. I do feel like sometimes it is a kind of a cycle for me in a way. I know I want to get back into reading at some point or even crochet some more as I find that a visual distraction for me in times when I feel like I have got repetitivous habits. I just feel like sometimes it is looming in the background. I will be honest, it not as bad as what it used to be back during 2022 and 2021 when it took most of the entire day and all of my energy out of me. But I do feel like maybe it might be coming back I am not entirely sure. Thanks though for talking to me, I really appreciate it!. <3.
  • Options
    ameliaJayneameliaJayne Moderator Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Amy22 , I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time with anxious feelings and repetitive behaviours. This must be really difficult and so well done for being brave and talking about it. This could be really helpful just to get it off your chest.

It sounds great that you are motivated to get into some new activities to distract yourself. Trying these new activities when you feel you want to take part in any unhealthy behaviours may be a good idea if this is something you would feel comfortable trying.

It is so important to remind yourself that you are doing the best you can and it is impossible to know the characters of all musicians that we listen to. This would take a lot of time! If you find yourself listening to a song of someone who has done something wrong, it is okay. This is not a reflection of who you are and it doesn't make you a bad person. It's okay to just enjoy the art they created.

I'm really proud of you and you're doing great. <3

• Options
    Thank you @ameliaJayne