Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

LGBT+ History Month (article)

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
Hey gang! The Mix recently published an article on LGBT+ history month. I thought it was pretty cool so wanted to share. See below (transcription at the end). :)

4lov0mmh56zn.jpg
8oaj3w8g46xe.jpg
ktlgibo93fuc.jpg
1z1b6dfy2v3x.jpg
jnnpbw22rzcd.jpg
m3js7laxcatk.jpg
peadgomh1osw.jpg
oz5us4oqepb0.jpg
1hbhzk6rltjy.jpg
bv8bme998l7b.jpg

Transcription:
What is LGBT+ History Month?

LGBT+ History Month is a month-long annual celebration of the lives of LGBT+ people of the past, the history of LGBT+ rights and related civil rights movements. It is marked every February in the UK, to coincide with the 2003 abolition of Section 28. Each year, a new theme is created to commemorate different parts of LGBT+ history.

LGBT+ History Month in the UK was founded by Schools OUT UK, and this year they have chosen the theme of Science and Medicine, #UnderTheScope. It encourages us to reflect on the contribution LGBT+ people have made in medical science, allows us to think about the community's relationship with the medical industry; and to challenge the underrepresentation of LGBT+ people in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics).

Why is LGBT+ History Month important?

LGBT+ History Month encourages us to shed light on the remarkable work of those who came before us and will continue to be revolutionary after us. Swipe to see three historical figures you might recognise, all of whom worked in science and medicine and may today have identified within the LGBT+ community.

Dr Cecil Belfield Clarke (1894 - 1970)

Dr Belfield Clarke was a physician who invented a formula to calculate the dosage of medicine for children, also known as ‘Clarke’s rule’. Additionally, he was a Barbados/Cambridge scholar and political activist. He founded the ‘League of Coloured Peoples’, a British civil-rights Organisation. Belfield Clarke was known to be gay and from the 1930s, lived with his partner Pat Walter.

Florence Nightingale (1829 - 1910)

Florence Nightingale was a social reformer, statistician and the founder of modern nursing. She led the nursing British and allied soldiers in Turkey during the Crimean War. She founded the Nightingale School of Nursing at St. Thomas’ Hospital and was the first woman to be awarded the Order of Merit in 1907. Historians believe Nightingale was a lesbian because she never married and, in her writing, she describes her experiences of sleeping with women.

Dr Alan Hart (1890 - 1962)

Dr Hart devoted much of his career to research into and treatment of tuberculosis. He is responsible for saving the lives of millions of patients with TB and his work established the basis of many screening tests that are still used today. Hart would likely describe himself as a trans man today and wrote of his happiness when he first started to present as a boy.

How can I celebrate LGBT+ History Month?

If you’re looking to celebrate LGBT+ History Month, head to theproudtrust.org and download the free LGBT+ History Month Education Pack! It’s a fun way to learn or teach about LGBT+ history, with a particular focus on LGBT+ scientists and medical professionals.

If you are passionate about supporting LGBT+ young people in your school, why not take this as your cue to sign up for The Proud Trust’s Rainbow Flag Award and commit to making your school a safe, supportive and inclusive space for all students. Find more information at theproudtrust.org
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,033 Community Veteran
    I saw this on my instagram story today actually and I am so glad that you are talking about LGBTQ+ identifying people in STEM because quite often they get forgotten about sadly which shoulden't be the case. Also I wanted to mention about Alan Turring who was famous for working for British intelligence corps during WWII. Alan identifed as a gay man himself but because of the times back then he had to hide his sexuality. I studied him I think and can't remember if I did in R.E class in secondary school and I found it so fascinating. I think also as part of my Welsh Bacc project I decided to look at LGBTQ+ hate crime and how to prevent it.

Thanks so much for sharing this!. I also want to aim to be more inclusive and understanding of others too so this really helps. I did also have another idea for but to do with how to support people identifying as non - binary and trans because there is so much hate crime going on at the moment and there needs to be more understanding and awareness of the trans community. Sadly, I think people won't always be understanding and inclusive but there's need to be more support and validation. Also, raising awareness about asexuality and people who were asexual in history should be interesting to do as well. <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 431 Listening Ear
    Completely agree @Amy22 I would love to see more awareness surrounding asexuality! On a similar note it's currently aromantic awareness week! 💚

If you're particularly interested in asexuality and or aromanticism Yasmin Benoit is an aroace activist in the UK campaigning for asexual rights

I also agree I would love some insight on how to support the trans community during this time as unfortunately discrimination is rife worldwide