Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

[TW - sexual assault]: What you need to know about drink spiking - tips from The Mix

GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 605 Incredible Poster
edited December 2023 in Health & Wellbeing
❗️TW: Sexual assault❗️

With New Year coming up, many of us will be going out to parties or into town. Knowing how it might feel if we’ve been spiked and what we should do if it happens is a really good way for us to be prepared for a night out and stay as safe as possible 💜

Spiking can impact anyone, but women and non-binary folk are most targeted, so always try to stick together and be aware of the signs. If you feel weird, or if a friend is acting strange, trust your gut and seek medical help as soon as possible.

Save this guide or send it to a friend for your next night out 💌

Thanks go to The Loop for the guidance ❤️

Many of us chatted on this thread here about what helps us feel comfy and safe on a night out so feel free to add any tips of your own there or below 👇.

Alt text spoilered:

What you need to know about drink spiking

What is drink spiking?

If someone spikes our drink, it means they add a substance without our permission or knowledge that could affect our body's ability to function normally, which can potentially cause us harm and leave us vulnerable.

Why would someone spike a drink?
The main motivation for spiking someone's drink is unfortunately to take advantage of that person by committing sexual assault or rape.

This is a gendered issue as it is usually a crime committed by men against women or non-binary people. Mugging someone may also be a motivation for drink spiking.

It is important to remember that if someone spikes our drink then they're breaking the law.
Spiking someone's drink could land the individual with a 10-year prison sentence in the UK.

We aren't to blame for their actions, and we've done nothing wrong. The narrative that victims "should have been more careful" is dangerous and misleading - it is never our fault if our drink has been spiked.

It doesn't matter what drug it is or if it's alcohol that's used to spike - it's always wrong to put something in someone else's drink without consent.
Alcohol is the most common substance used in drink spiking and can be just as dangerous as other substances.

Tranquillisers such as diazepam (Valium), alprazolam (Xanax) and lorazepam.

Party drugs like ketamine or ecstacy are also sometimes put in people's drinks to make them more intoxicated.

Some drugs are less commonly used but are often associated with drink spiking:
Rohypnol ("roofies"), a sleeping tablet and sedative that causes someone's responses to slow down, relaxes the muscles and can also cause memory loss.

GHB is a psychoactive substance in clear liquid form that is also sometimes referred to as a "date rape" drug.

Risks of unexpected intoxication
Another risk factor to be aware of when we're on a night out is the potential for alcohol or a recreational drug to have unexpectedly strong effects.

It's important to make sure we're with people we trust if we're drinking or experimenting with drugs, keep our phone charged and always have a plan for how we're going to get home.

What are the symptoms of our drink being spiked?
  • A sense of being out of control
  • Unconsciousness
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Memory loss
  • Panic / anxiety
  • Nausea / vomiting
The only way to know if we've been spiked is to get a blood test as soon as possible (ideally within 12 hours). This is important as the results can be used as evidence by police officers when investigating the crime.

If we think we've been spiked, tell the people we're with and seek medical help straight away.
Call an ambulance or get to the nearest hospital and explain what has happened. The quicker we go to hospital, the more likely it is that the substance will be identified.

If a friend has been spiked, stay with them so if anything happens or their condition gets worse, we can call for help straight away.

Drink spiking is a serious crime, and we have a right to report it to the police.
This will involve answering some questions about what happened so try to remember as much as we can.

If we think we've been raped or sexually assaulted, this is also a serious crime. It's important that we tell someone as soon as we can to make sure we get all the support we need.

thd5zw6ujgqa.jpg

f2esm77w2mcs.jpg

l93zmllk5qwg.jpg

lge5upkfiaea.jpg

6rq4mcvs7ltj.jpg

aunh9pfsqvcm.jpg

x2atyz9ybgta.jpg

lct66gzw87t0.jpg

nbo0kjm8ie52.jpg

bn4ggdzblws0.jpg

You can also view the post over on our Instagram page - https://www.instagram.com/themixuk

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    Just wanted to illeriate on some of this I don't know if I posted this tip here before on the other thread. But there is a sort of way of preventing yourself from being spiked. When I went to my local pride, the police had a small stand and were giving out these small straw looking things which are called anti spikers. Anti spikers are like mini straws you can out in drinks or bottles (technically they are for bottles rather than glasses due to their small size). They prevent the person from spiking your drink and they also are colourful too so if you are away from your table you can recognise your drink quite easily. I would say though (I haven't used my anti spikers yet but I will be putting some in my bag at some point for events and gatherings), I don't think they prevent powder spiking. Sometimes people can get spiked by someone putting powder in their drink (So I would say keep your srink with you at all times for safe keepings). <3 Stay safe everyone this new years eve.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films