Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How do I get a girlfriend

joshy123joshy123 Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
Hiiii I'm Joshua I'm 16 I'm homeschooled and i have no idea how to talk to people irl I'm really awkward I don't know how to approach anyone or anything I could use anyone's help please
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    EmmaLizEmmaLiz Moderator, Staff Posts: 10 Settling in
    edited December 2023
    Hey @joshy123 thanks for reaching out :) I always think it's great to reach out about these kinds of questions and thoughts as you won't be alone in this!

I'm not sure I'm the best person to say how to get into a relationship but I wanted to say it's totally normal to feel a bit lost and awkward speaking to people in real life, a lot of us feel like that so please don't think that makes you awkward as a person. I'm wondering if there's anything you get up to outside of school or any hobbies you do where you chat and meet people?

We have some great content on The Mix's website about meeting people, relationships, being single and everything in between if you want a browse :)

https://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/single-life-and-dating
    https://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/friendship

And as always we're always here to keep having these convos in the meantime <3
  • Options
    DavidDavid Posts: 92 Budding Regular
    Making an initial approach to a girl is difficult. If you don't make a good first impression on her, she's not likely to give you the opportunity to make a second impression. It's massively less common for girls to approach boys, so you can't wait for girls to approach you, chat you up, ask you out etc.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    joshy123 wrote: »
    Hiiii I'm Joshua I'm 16 I'm homeschooled and i have no idea how to talk to people irl I'm really awkward I don't know how to approach anyone or anything I could use anyone's help please

Hey @joshy123 welcome to TheMix. Your definitely not alone in feeling like you struggle talking to other people. I also feel the same too with people too irl. What I find helpful is just being yourself as being your authentic self sometimes brings people to you. Im always here if you need anything <3.

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    Hi @joshy123 i just wanted to say I’m helplessly awkward irl too, I think that’s why a lot of us are here lol. You’re not alone :heart:
  • Options
    DavidDavid Posts: 92 Budding Regular
    Awkwardness in girls is considered by many to be cute, sweet & adorable. Most awkward girls will quite often be approached, chatted up etc. by boys. It's very different for awkward boys, a high proportion of whom are (almost) outcasts. They'll typically be picked on a lot & it's highly unlikely that girls will find them attractive, approach them, chat them up etc. These points are among the many that show that gender equality in social situations, dating, relationships, friendships etc. doesn't exist & isn't being aimed for.

These are among the many things which the large majority of feminists won't talk about, let alone vocally disagree with or try to change, despite insisting they want gender equality across the board. Others include FGM, child marriage, forced marriage, the 7 Oct invasion & men having much shorter lives than women.
  • Options
    anna0012anna0012 Moderator, Staff Posts: 17 Settling in
    Hello @joshy123 how are you doing today? Great question, thanks for reaching out.
    There is no simple answer, but as @EmmaLiz mentioned, hobbies outside school can help, and there is some great content on our website, where you can get some helpful information.

I find that in terms of interacting with other people, believing in yourself gives a boost of confidence, which always helps, and positive thinking sometimes can do wonders too.

Sending you hugs and positive energy. <3