Home Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Theoretical approaches to neurodivergence

mimbomimbo Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi new here,
Just wanted to open a discussion to see if anyone knows (or has their own) theories of neurodivergence that they would like to share and discuss.
I am having that battle with my parents that I see many have, where my parents (most likely in denial of their own neurodivergence) and see mental health in general a 'fad'.
This motivates me to get scientific theory in order to back my case.

I am currently at university studying Psychology and for me, I find there just isn't satisfactory or accurate research that sufficiently answers the questions I have of my experience.
I have a diagnosis with ADHD, depression, anxiety and on the waitlist for suspected autism.
Additionally I am interested in anyone has thoughts on links to dissociative identity disorder (DID or OSDD), OCD and anxiety.

Okay slay, please respond someone it feels like I'm going a bit mad here

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,033 Community Veteran
    Hi @mimbo welcome to The Mix!. Thanks for reaching out on here as this is very interesting actually to me. As a fellow neurodiverse person I can relate to the feeling that there isn't enough research out there specifically. I think in general autism awareness including acceptance is still ongoing and will to be explored in the years to come. I think theoretically, I personally see mental health as not a 'fad' or an 'attention' thing which tends to be the most misunderstood interpretation on it. Mental health scientifically is important and has many underlying factors to it. I think of the iceberg theory. So basically on the top of the iceberg you see eveything as fine and perfect but when you look underneath that iceberg, things are completly different. You see the struggle of person who may be deemed 'successful' or 'over-achieving' (I am using this as an example which kind of relates to the neurodiverse experience of many). I think there are multiple theoretical questions that can be asked on this topic in general. Speaking of OCD in particular, I know that there connections with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) as it tends to be a side condition as well as anxiety and depression. Autism has been linked with anxiety or OCD for a long time as sometimes when a person is diagnosed formally with ASD, they can also be given a diagonosis for additonal conditions. I find the link between DID and autism very very interesting. Eventhough this is something I am not very familair with specifically it's something I would love to talk more about and explore. I'm probably not the best at giving a general answer to this but I am more than happy to further discuss this thread with you or anyone who is interested. Always here if you need a fellow friend to chat to <3.

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    slugchannelslugchannel Posts: 13 Settling in
    I'm no psychology major, but from witness and personal experience, I think youre completely right . There seems to be a lack of regard when it comes to the individual experience, its so hard to answer all the questions about neurodiversity when no two experiences of it are the same . The more information we have, the better ... and it would be great to see more people who are actually neurodivergent (you) weigh in on studies and have their say in an academic setting . It would maybe help eradicate the idea that One Size Fits All when it comes to dealing with negative traits .

IIRC i've heard that some traits of autism are comorbid with that of OCD, meaning a lot of autistic people (namely AFAB people) are misdiagnosed with OCD . But that is from the grapevine, from a friend who studies psychology ... If I find a study on it I will be sure to send it to you !