Home› Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

đź‘ľ Small guideline change (medication and eating disorders)

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2023 in Community Announcements
I don't know why I chose that emoji for the title, I just think it's cute đź‘ľ

We've made a small change to the Community Guidelines around medication and eating disorders:

Eating behaviours
When discussing eating behaviours, it’s okay to say you overeat or restrict, or to share a formal diagnosis. It’s also okay to talk about laxative misuse in relation to disordered eating. Please avoid discussing specific details, such as:
  • How much or what you've consumed
  • Calories and nutritional info
  • Body measurements
  • + Detailed accounts of exercise
  • + Methods of purging
  • + Methods of reducing appetite

Substances
If you would like to discuss drugs or medication, please avoid sharing dosages. This is to make sure people don’t self-medicate based on advice from the community.
The mod team felt that allowing discussion of laxative use in relation to eating disorders wasn't consistent with our overall approach of not discussing eating behaviours, so that is no longer permitted.

We've also added methods of purging to the list - which we're kind of surprised wasn't there before 🤨

Detailed accounts of exercise is now disallowed, because of how that can relate to eating disorders and body image issues generally.

Methods of reducing appetite has been included as a separate point, after the mod team decided it wasn't obviously covered under methods of purging.

And finally, we trimmed down the wording a little bit to make it more concise.

When it comes to medication, it's okay to say names of medication to discuss side-effects and different experiences taking them. Dosages can't be shared to avoid people self-medicating based on posts.

There's a bit of crossover here with medication and EDs. Please do not share names of medications used to purge or lose weight - this will be classed as a method of purging and therefore not permitted.

--
I hope that makes things clearer and more consistent for everyone. Drop any questions below and someone on the mod team will get back to you as soon as possible. 🙂
The truth resists simplicity.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    edited November 2023
    At the top there it says it's still ok to discuss laxatives? I don't really understand that as it's still a method surely?

ETA: please ignore!!! Stupid screen reader (delete if possible cuz now i look like an eejit) !!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,088 Wise Owl
    @independent_ it's crossed out at the top
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    River wrote: »
    @independent_ it's crossed out at the top

Ffs i feel like a complete dafty now @River 🤣🤣 the screen reader not behaving as ever
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,088 Wise Owl
    @independent_ it's okay I thought that may have been the cause but if it helps I thought the staff just liked putting a line through it 🤣
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    Apologies @independent_! Me trying to be clever with the formatting 🤦

I've hopefully made it clear in the main post now that laxative discussion is no longer allowed.

@independent_ happy to still delete your comments if you like, but this was quite helpful so didn't want to remove them now without double checking!
  • Options
    One small addition to this:
    JustV wrote:
    Methods of reducing appetite has been included as a separate point, after the mod team decided it wasn't obviously covered under methods of purging.
    Main post has been updated :)
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,514 Skive's The Limit
    Was this update because of what I’ve been sharing:/ sorry. But atleast kinda helpful going forward
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,172 Boards Champion
    JustV wrote: »
    JustV wrote:

By "methods of reducing appetite" is this including saying your appetite isn't great atm or you don't have much of an appetite recently? Just asking bc ik many things can link to this eg grief ect So wondered if that's okay or if it's just not at all?
  • Options
    Siena wrote: »
    Was this update because of what I’ve been sharing:/ sorry. But atleast kinda helpful going forward
    You're all good @Siena - the update was added more to make our existing approach clearer for people. Your posts highlighted that gap for us which was actually really helpful. :)
    Chloe234 wrote: »
    JustV wrote: »
    JustV wrote:

By "methods of reducing appetite" is this including saying your appetite isn't great atm or you don't have much of an appetite recently? Just asking bc ik many things can link to this eg grief ect So wondered if that's okay or if it's just not at all?
    Nah that's fine @Chloe234. :) It's totally okay to say your appetite is lower for any reason (that happens to us all sometimes). This guideline is for people talking about how to deliberately reduce their appetite in the context of disordered eating. It's a bit of a niche one that doesn't come up often but we wanted to make sure it was clearly covered in the guidelines.