Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Issues at work and broken telephone promise

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 190 Trailblazer
edited November 2023 in Health & Wellbeing

Hello.

I had issues at work, which triggered a dynamic where people have told me I am not alone in experiencing the difficulty.

My employment advisor’s colleague tried to call but could not get me because I was working. I called her back three times and could not get her. The employment advisor rang me, informing me that her colleague tried to call me, and I explained the situation. So, she asked me if I wanted her colleague to contact me later, and I said yes. She never did. It felt like she chose not to. I had to chase it up, letting the receptionist know. I hoped to talk to her about something important. It has hurt me and made me feel down. I have been creating scenarios of resentment towards her for not calling me. She could have gotten caught up in something and could not reach this evening. Or, she may have forgotten and remembered when the place was about to close. So, she planned to call this coming Monday, but the possibility does not eliminate my feelings. This situation triggered a memory of when people criticised me for taking things personally. The memories have made me feel separate from others.

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @Creativeboy23 I'm really sorry you've experienced this, it's so frustrating when you're waiting on someone that's promised to do something and they've not pulled through. Did they arrange a time to call you back?

I had issues at work, which triggered a dynamic where people have told me I am not alone in experiencing the difficulty.

she asked me if I wanted her colleague to contact me later, and I said yes. She never did. It felt like she chose not to. I had to chase it up, letting the receptionist know. I hoped to talk to her about something important. It has hurt me and made me feel down. I have been creating scenarios of resentment towards her for not calling me.

It might be worth talking to your employment advisor about how you're feeling, or even through email, as sometimes people don't realise how their actions/inactions can end up really affecting people. If they know, they might be able to put a strategy in place, or at least be more aware of how they handle situations. It's definitely worth bringing up as an issue even if you don't feel you can discuss your feelings over it if it's a widespread issue.
    She could have gotten caught up in something and could not reach this evening. Or, she may have forgotten and remembered when the place was about to close. So, she planned to call this coming Monday, but the possibility does not eliminate my feelings. This situation triggered a memory of when people criticised me for taking things personally. The memories have made me feel separate from others.

It's really great that you've recognised the other potential reasons that they might have been unable to call you. I know that rationalising thoughts doesn't make the negative feelings go away, but it does help give some perspective that it might not be personal at all.

I'm really sorry the situation was triggering for you, but well done for identifying that. Hope things get better for you at work <3
  • Options
    Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 190 Trailblazer

Hello @lunarcat522.

Well said.

Yes. I got a call back today. Everything is okay now.

Thanks for your support. I appreciate it ❤️.