Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this what it's like being an adult?

IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 933 Part of The Mix Family
Just turned 19 and all this epilepsy and NHS phone calls and with the threat of being kicked out of college is so stressful to the point I've forgotten why I even chose to go to college in the first place or even how to enjoy my life anymore. I'm so tired - but even with the horrible mh services who don't listen to me at all

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @IainJammyboy Sorry to hear you've got a lot going on. I'm not sure if this helps but I'm in a similar situation to you - I finally reached out to my GP for mental health support and I'm waiting for them to get back to me (if they do). I'm struggling a lot at college too as a result and unfortunately only managed to attend one lecture out of 4 classes yesterday before I had to go home due to bad physical (chronic pain) and mental health. It's all very frustrating. Have you got any support from anyone like friends/family or even people at college?
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    @IainJammyboy & @lunarcat522, I’m sorry to hear that you’re both in these situations, it must be really difficult reaching out for help and not getting it, all whilst having difficulties with education too.

I know it’s easy to say, but speaking from experience, things can get better, even if it is very slow. When I was at college I was going through a similar situation of feeling abandoned by mental health services, and this affecting my studies. Although we shouldn’t have to, I found that the more I kept following up with the GP, the quicker things happened, and eventually I got the help I had been desperate for for a long time. Although this shouldn’t be our responsibility, unfortunately sometimes it is the only way these things get done, so if you feel comfortable ringing up your GP or other services, and telling them how the delays are affecting you, this could help.

In terms of college, it is not fair that they are threatening to kick you out @IainJammyboy. Educational settings have a safeguarding responsibility, and if they are not fulfilling that, it is not your fault. Even from your post I can tell you are a very contentious person, and both you and @lunarcat522 should be incredibly proud of yourselves for persevering with college with all that you’re going through. Is there anyone at college that you feel comfortable enough to open up to, they may be able to have a conversation with those threatening to kick you out?

I’m sorry you’re going through this, but please keep going because things can get better, and you’re clearly very strong people to be going through what you are, and be proud of yourselves for doing all that you can in these circumstances. Please keep reaching out as we are all here for you <3
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    knej23knej23 Posts: 33 Boards Initiate
    @IainJammyboy my best advice would be to take each day/ situation as it comes. Try to tackle one problem at once I.e. is there someone you can talk to at college/ explain you may need additional support to avoid being kicked out. It’s not easy and I wish I could offer better advice because the second we turn 19 we’re thrown into the deep end of adulthood. I felt the same way for a long time but it does get easier with time as things fall into place.