Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you do to look after your wellbeing?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,048 Boards Guru
Hey everyone,

Mental Health Awareness Day is coming up in a few weeks (10th October) and we'd love to know what you do to look after your wellbeing?

Perhaps something you do could help inspire someone to try something new to look after themselves.

Comment below what you do for wellness and self-care :)

For me, I love to spend time outside whenever I can or taking time to do something creative like drawing or colouring <3
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,064 Community Veteran
    I think for me music is my escape. Putting on my headphones and just zoning to some tunes helps me to relax. Then I also crochet and knit which I find helps to ground me in the present as I move from each stitch feeling the textures.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,320 Part of The Furniture
    I like to have days where I do whatever I want, abandoning all self-restraint. It sounds weird but like just letting my brain go wherever it wants is very therpeutic for me! Like I get an urge to go outside, I go outside, then I decide I want to walk through the woods, so I do that, maybe I go to the shop and buy something stupid. I guess just being impulsive for a bit and going with the flow.

For self-care on days where my mental health is rough, I like to hide in my room, put some music or a podcast on through my headphones, and play some easy video games and get lost. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,094 Wise Owl
    There are a few different things I do based on what I think I need at that given moment.

Sometimes it is read a book, watch a TV show, listen to music or even going for a walk (weather dependent).
    Just spending a bit of time away from distractions and stressors to focus on something simple works wonders
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 251 The Mix Regular
    I like to just be by myself and have a break from doing anything other than watching my favourite TV shows and making some good food :)
  • Options
    MatchaMiaMatchaMia Posts: 60 Boards Initiate
    I like to go on walks! Some days I might listen to music or my favourite podcasts, but other times just people watching and paying attention to the world around me is enough to calm me down- especially when I feel like we're always so caught up in our own lives, sometimes stepping away from it can give a fresh breath of air. I also give myself "me" days to do the things I enjoy like reading, or going to cafe's and thrifting!
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 468 Listening Ear
    I really like this thread @Aife! For me, I really enjoy doing whatever I feel like doing! I also really like mindlessly drawing simple doodles, and taking naps whenever I feel really tired. When there's something I get worried about, I sometimes go on YouTube and listen to relaxing piano music with rain in the background. I'm not sure why, but it gives me a lot of comfort that everything will be okay <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )