Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

abrsm or trinity

yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
my piano teacher is moving away. I'm currently on grade 5 piano (trinity) but the new piano teacher I've found only teaches abrsm. she said she'll try to teach me trinity but she doesn't know what she's doing that well. or I can switch to abrsm and she'll just teach me that. or I could try to find a different piano teacher who won't make me switch but that's a bit of a hassle. any advice? the only downside I know of about switching to abrsm is that I'd have to do sight reading which is scary but ig it is what it is
my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Xee

I know deciding on which music board to go with can be a difficult decision. I did ABRSM until grade 4 and then switched to London college of music, because it meant I didn’t have to sing in my exam which I hated doing by myself. So I understand not wanting to do a particular board because of something in the exam. I guess by the new teacher only teaching one board I imagine she’s very knowledgeable on the board and there exams and will hopefully be able to help you with your sight reading. Have you tried sight reading before? How would you feel about maybe giving the ABRSM exam a try? Ultimately though remember it’s your decision to choose whichever exam you fee most comfortable with
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Xee It's understandable that facing a change in piano teachers can be a bit daunting, especially when it comes to different exam boards like Trinity and ABRSM. The decision depends on your priorities and comfort level. If you're open to trying out the new teacher who teaches ABRSM, give it a fair chance and see how the experience goes. If you find that it's not a good fit after some time, you can always consider looking for another teacher who aligns better with your preferences and current exam board.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.