Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Do you have to have a diagnosis to apply for PIP?

spacedogspacedog Posts: 1,149 Wise Owl
Just wondering

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,908 Extreme Poster
    No you don’t, however you do need evidence to back up how you meet the descriptors.
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • spacedogspacedog Posts: 1,149 Wise Owl
    @Jellyelephant do you know how hard it is to squeeze that money out of the government?
    @Jellyelephant do you know how hard it is to squeeze that money out of the government?

It’s hard, I had to appeal and then take it to a tribunal to be awarded it for my mental health. You have to have plenty of evidence… but if you’re entitled then you should apply, there is lots of good information online.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,673 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2023
    The first time I applied was years ago. They asked to see me/speak about it then decided not to award me anything. I applied this year and they accepted it striaght away and didn’t offer a chat. Now I get £691 a month so it’s definitely worth trying if you feel you are entitled. But I would say the difference was my behaviours getting more dangerous. I even increased my work hours. I used to only work weekends then now do 5 days a week. So it’s nothing to do with being able to work.

If have any questions write them here and I’m sure people can help.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Siobhan thank you - and sorry I don't mean this in a personal way, but at what point would things be bad enough to be considered for PIP?? I was just thinking especially how it's bpd it s the only chance of bring able to improve things, seeing there's no official treatment for it?
    @Jellyelephant sorry I just wanted to get your opinion - should I wait until tomorrow to phone my psychiatrist and get her opinion, or should I just go fill it out myself and see what happens? I've been thinking of just applying
    @Jellyelephant sorry I just wanted to get your opinion - should I wait until tomorrow to phone my psychiatrist and get her opinion, or should I just go fill it out myself and see what happens? I've been thinking of just applying

Well you have to phone up and get them to send you the forms anyway so you may as well do that tomorrow if you want to apply go for it. You will probably want a letter of support from your psychiatrist though as evidence
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,190 Part of The Furniture
    This might be helpful - this is the descriptors for each section that the assessors go off.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

What I will say is he prepared to fight it. It took me 6 months to get mine awarded and threatening to take it to tribunal but I came out with high rate care and low rate mobility . It’s tiring and annoying but yeah just don’t give up as that’s just what they hope people will do

Make sure you have evidence aswell , you can get parents or professionals to also write supporting statements etc.
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    I wouldn’t say it’s about how bad you are, more about how your illness impacts your day to day life. Like can you look after yourself independently. I had a lot of letters from the crisis team saying they came round and I was unkept 💀 so I think if you have those sort of letters they can help. If when you’re on your worst days or not encouraged to do so you will not shower or move out of bed. Things like that
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited August 2023
    I actually called back when I was rewarded my pip to say I think they have given me too much. He was like yeah I’ve never had this call. But it’s because it was worded as if I can never leave my house by myself so I was telling them I can and go out independently all the time and he said he’d get back to me on that one and then rang back and was like yeah I’ll cancel your reconsideration because the person doing it(he did say what sort of profession I think maybe doctor idk) doing it knew I could go out by myself and more of a like I can’t keep myself safe outside by myself so it’s more of a kinda shouldn’t be going out by yourself and the high risk of behaviours of going out by myself leads to
    @Siobhan that Ames sense - I've heard from other people aswell when your applying you should talk about everything as it is on your worst days, I mean I would have alot to say lol