Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What are your love languages?

Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 601 Incredible Poster
As part of our Summer Luvin' campaign we're thinking all about sex and relationships and sharing lots of support and information on how to navigate these things.

This got me thinking, what are your love languages?

For those who don't know, the common love languages are :
  • Words of Affirmation
  • Quality Time
  • Receiving Gifts
  • Acts of Service
  • Physical Touch

These are the different ways people communicate that they love and care for someone, romantically or platonically. It's super common for people to have more than one love language.

It can be helpful to recognise what yours and your loved one's languages are so that you can communicate well with each other, especially if you're having a hard time and need some extra reminders that you're loved <3

For me, I definitely love hugs so physical touch is one, and also spending quality time with my friends, sitting together whilst we scroll through TikTok or grabbing a coffee for a walk!

What about you guys?

Comments

• Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,064 Wise Owl
    Oooo what an interesting topic. I think for me quality time is definitely one of my love languages as I love spending time with the people I care about, even if its going for a walk or even sat in each others company. I also think words of affirmation is another one for me - there's not much better than hearing things like someone is proud of you or they love you.

I'm now quite interested into seeing what other people's love languages are :3
  • Options
    leehollyleeholly Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    I'm very much a quality time and gifts person. However, to me gifts aren't necessarily things you have to buy. For example, my friends used to bring me back pretty stones after going on holiday. I suppose it's because it means they were thinking of me even when I wasn't there.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    I have no clue what my love language is. every time I do one of those quizzes I get a different answer xD
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    CaniceQCaniceQ Posts: 122 The Mix Convert
    I think my love language is words of affirmation and quality time. It's a really interesting topic. I believe my love language is those types because it suggests that the one I love just wants to be with me - it's clear, direct, and doesn't hold other implications.
    CaniceQ
  • Options
    Ah love hearing all these answers! I think it's really cool how people express their love so differently!
  • Options
    Xee wrote: »
    I have no clue what my love language is. every time I do one of those quizzes I get a different answer xD

Lol, I loe doing all those lil quizzes but I agree, they never give a good answer!

Maybe think about people that you love - friends, family ect - and think about how do you show them that you love them? Or what do they do that makes you know you're loved?!
  • Options
    MatchaMiaMatchaMia Posts: 60 Boards Initiate
    I love this topic haha! Mine's physical affection and quality time as the top two- I don't see my partner often at all, maybe like once every two months or 3? which actually sucks since we live in the same city. It's hard to meet up for a lot of reasons that I won't disclose but it did teach me a lot about how I want to love and be loved :) I think with friends too I love hugs and spending time with each other in a way that's attentive and intentional! Interestingly enough, i like giving gifts, but I'm not really fussed with receiving any... Its touching when It's a personal gift though as it shows they really thought about you
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    edited August 2023
    Emma_ wrote: »
    Xee wrote: »

Lol, I loe doing all those lil quizzes but I agree, they never give a good answer!

Maybe think about people that you love - friends, family ect - and think about how do you show them that you love them? Or what do they do that makes you know you're loved?!

@Emma_ I love physical affection more than anything in the world but words of affirmation are amazing too. the thing is physical touch doesn't mean a lot to some people so it's hard to gauge how they're feeling and words of affirmation can sometimes be lies so it's a bit hard to trust or fully believe some people.

quality time is amazing because you can't lie about wanting to spend time with someone right? because you can't get time back. it someone spends time with me I really appreciate that they've sacrificed that time in their life to spend it with me. I love the company of others and being around someone who makes me feel safe has got to be the best feeling in the world.

acts of service are the same sort of thing because they're giving up time for me. but then what if they're doing that because they feel like they HAVE to? almost as if it's a chore to do those things for me. it could be fake. it could mean nothing.

and as for gifts...eh that one doesn't appeal to me so much. not that I'd complain if I got loads of presents, I'd welcome the gifts with open arms xD
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    I think my love language is a bit of both. Physical though it depends cause I got to be in the right mood and stuff for cuddles and hugs though I do love a good hug. I think also spending time with my family as well is nice too as there is nothing better than me sitting and watching TV with my family. Also spending time with friends even being on here is a kind of love language for me. Sometimes, and I know this may sound selfish but spending time on own is a love language as I get to purely focus on myself without having to worry about things or other people. Its the time where I can have time to myself. <3 I don't really have much of a love language as Im not sure really what it would be cause Im a confused lil panda xd
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    I think my love language is physical touch quality time and words of affirmation ❤️
  • Options
    asia4aasia4a Posts: 12 Settling in
    I think my love languages are physical touch and words of affirmation! It is always good to be able to feel close to the person you love and admire and reassurance is a big part for me as it provides me with peace of mind <3
  • Options
    I'm loving all these replies! Seeming like physical touch is a big one for people too, love a good hug!!
  • Options
    Maria2008Maria2008 Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    i think mine is physical affection but only from certain people