Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My friend has bad hygiene

Hello guys I need your help my friend with bad hygiene is staying at my house today and I need your help I don’t know what to do she has bad hygiene and I don’t want to catch anything. I can’t talk to her about it because she’s a sensitive person and I don’t know what to do 😫

Comments

• marcellus_beauregardmarcellus_beauregard Posts: 77 Budding Regular
    Oh goodness... That's troublesome. I do understand that she is a sensitive person and commenting on one's hygiene is a bit... well, embarrassing and strange, you could say, but you should be completely honest to her about it. You can tell her it in a very honest but polite way. Keep reminding them that it is okay and you are only looking out for them. You're friends so your friendship should have the option to be honest and open.

If you really do not want to be honest, you could make an excuse saying that there's something potentially hazardous in your home or something, it would really help if they could wash up/clean themselves up and thoroughly before coming as a safety precaution or something. However, doing this will not fully open the bridge of having a stable level of honesty in your relationship.

I wish you the best of luck though.
  • CaniceQCaniceQ Posts: 122 The Mix Convert
    @_Tech_Addict_Girl
    That is quite a predicament. I pretty much agree with @marcellus_beauregard.
    If you decide to speak about the person's hygiene, I would recommend doing so by first acknowledging the potential feelings and reactions that your friend might have after saying what you mainly want to say, then tell them your worries about upsetting them alongside your current feelings (such as wanting to maintain your friendship but not wanting to neglect other needs of your own), tell them your struggle on how to approach them on this issue, and after that, mention that you wish to be honest and that what you're going say doesn't imply anything negative about them as a whole person. After saying these things, go ahead a tell them about their bad hygiene. This way, hopefully, it can help them mentally and emotionally prepare, be willing to empathise, and thereby produce an understanding, less sensitive response. I hope this helps if you decide to go down the route of communicating with each other. Ultimately, it is your decision.
    I'm wishing you the best of luck. :)
    CaniceQ