Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Random

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
Hey, I've been considering getting a pet. Do you have any pets and do you recommend any beginner-friendly pets?
I'm very scared of rodents loool

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,912 Legendary Poster
    I have a dog, he’s a lab retriever called Theo and he is an absolute nuttter. Don’t know how they are for beginners but they are some of the most loving soft hearted dogs, if a bit (lot) energetic.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    @Siobhan get lost looool
    edited September 18
    Past User wrote: »
    A dog? Hamster?

Mama won't allow a dog, but a hampster sounds okay once I get past the fear of being bitten by them. I've never been bitten by them or held one so I donnoe where this fear is coming from lool

Maybe I should but it on my bucket list of things to do before I turn 30 "hold a hamster and not drop it or fling it across the room" XD
    Post edited by patrickDev on
    I have a dog, he’s a lab retriever called Theo and he is an absolute nuttter. Don’t know how they are for beginners but they are some of the most loving soft hearted dogs, if a bit (lot) energetic.

Awwww what a cutie <3
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,190 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 18
    Past User wrote: »
    A dog? Hamster?

Mama won't allow a dog, but a hampster sounds okay once I get past the fear of being bitten by them. I've never been bitten by them or held one so I donnoe where this fear is coming from lool

Maybe I should but it on my bucket list of things to do before I turn 30 "hold a hamster and not drop it or fling it across the room" XD

We got my niece (she’s 8) a hamster from pets at homes they’re usually really good at making sure you have the correct size cage, talking through how to handle them and will show you how to handle them too. Signs that mean they’re poorly etc.

In terms of Guinea pigs it depends if you can cope having 2 as they often have to live in pairs .You could always think about fish aswell - they’re pretty low maintenance and again we’ve always got ours from pets at home. Just gotta feed then once a day and then clean them out when the tank gets grimy
    Post edited by patrickDev on
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,912 Legendary Poster

Awwww what a cutie <3

Took him for a run this afternoon and he was a good boy but my god did he run round in circles the entire time as if he hadn’t been out of the house for a month!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”

Awwww what a cutie <3

Took him for a run this afternoon and he was a good boy but my god did he run round in circles the entire time as if he hadn’t been out of the house for a month!

Proper made me laugh reading this hahaha
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,908 Extreme Poster
    Just so you know hamsters are so cute and lovely but pets at home do not stock adequate cages for them and often give incorrect advice…. If you were going to get one I can recommend a good hamster care facebook group for you. I have had many hamsters so if you want to ask about them feel free :) x
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,190 Part of The Furniture
    Just so you know hamsters are so cute and lovely but pets at home do not stock adequate cages for them and often give incorrect advice…. If you were going to get one I can recommend a good hamster care facebook group for you. I have had many hamsters so if you want to ask about them feel free :) x

We must of been lucky with the lady we had when getting my nieces … she actually made us get a bigger cage that what we was gonna get 😂
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Millie2787 wrote: »

We must of been lucky with the lady we had when getting my nieces … she actually made us get a bigger cage that what we was gonna get 😂

Pets at home don’t have any cages in store that actually are big enough for a hamster lovely. The only one they sell that’s big enough is the savic plaza which is only available online. People think hamsters are cheap easy pets but they need lots of space and bedding to be able to burrow etc. they also need a wheel that’s big enough - the wheels that come with the pets at home cages are not actually suitable as they’re too small and can cause spinal issues in hamsters. Also they often sell you sawdust which is not good for hamsters respiratory systems.
    oooooo if you see any good cages, plz post them here
    If I end up getting them, I'm leaning towards calling one Bacon and the other Dig-Bick
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    I used to have a hamster they are geniually good pets, mine would watch Eastenders with me :lol: she was a proper fan of it. Sometimes they can bite but it's only when they feel scared or threatend. I think hamster are kind of easy to look after. There is also the guinea pig option too which are slightly bigger versions of hamsters but also cute as well. I also agree with @Jellyelephant as I know hamsters do like their space and bedding is so important. I do find that most of the cages sold are actually too small for them sometimes. Also a wheel is also handy to keep them active. I used to have a ball one so my hamster could run around the house safely in a ball. I say maybe do some research before getting a pet first hand and consider what types of pet you would be interested in having. Im hoping to get another pet one day as I wasn't very good with my hamster personally eventhough I was very small :lol: xd and terrible at being its mum.

All the best,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
    oooooo if you see any good cages, plz post them here
    If I end up getting them, I'm leaning towards calling one Bacon and the other Dig-Bick

I love the name Bacon!
    Omg anyone remember the ds Hamsterz game? I really loved that game so much!
  • VicK_toriousVicK_torious Posts: 115 The Mix Convert
    I have a Jack russell, which I absolutely adore and see as my child :#
    Would love to have a grey cat too tho.. Love these creaturessss @Salix_alba_2019
    a53bdzy81l4p.jpg

What about this?
    a53bdzy81l4p.jpg

What about this?

They’re not big enough my dear, none of the ones sold in store are. I’d order the Savic plaza online through pets at home if I were you

fae0shnzyqbq.jpeg

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,673 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2023
    I’ve had hamsters and Guinea pigs and ngl I wasn’t a fan of them. Was a lot of effort to clean them and I’m pretty sure they’re more expensive then teddy (Guinea pigs especially with their bedding and the amount of food they eat. Found it harder to look after them then teddy lol. & most of them just bit me & wouldn’t ever let me cuddle with them lol. I also couldn’t even look after a fish I killed it by doing the water too hot and died instantly but now I think about it there was steam coming off the water so that was pretty stupid rip fishy :(

But yeah I knew someone who loved hamsters and Guinea pigs they literally dedicated so much time to them and couldn’t ever meet me cause she was always cleaning them & absolutely loved them
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley