Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Puzzle 1: Can you solve this brain teaser?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,032 Boards Guru
edited July 2023 in General Chat
Can you solve this brain teaser?

The government said up to 234,000 roles requiring hard data skills will be needed in the coming years by UK companies. Experian, a company that deals with information about money and how people use it, has designed three ‘hard data’ puzzles to challenge your skills! We thought it would be fun to share them here!

Comment below if you manage to solve the puzzle!

Puzzle 1: The Coffee House Conundrum
Scenario:
You are working at a trendy coffee house with some colleagues planning your next big event. Your task is to serve refreshments to a group of data scientists seated at a long table. Each person has specific preferences for their drink, and your goal is to work out the correct drink order for each person based on a few clues.

Can you solve the puzzle and ensure everyone gets the right drink?

Here are the clues:
There are five customers sitting at the table: Alice, Suresh, Farah, Dan and Cora

The drinks available are coffee, tea, juice, soda, and water

Each customer has a unique preference for their drink, and no two people order the same beverage.

The following clues will help you deduce the correct drink order for each person:

a) Alice, who is sitting at the far left, wants something warm and comforting, but she doesn’t like coffee
b) Suresh, who is allergic to caffeine, is seated next to Alice and doesn’t drink tea or soda
c) Farah, who is sitting between Suresh and Dan, prefers a drink with a fruity flavour
d) Dan doesn’t like hot or sugary drinks
e) Coral is allergic to oranges, and is sitting on the far right

19uwzhpc7jvp.png

Good luck!

Good luck! I'll share the answers here next week :)
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,050 Wise Owl
    I got the same as Morgan (Alice = tea, Suresh = juice, Farah = soda, Dan = water, Coral = coffee)

Although I'm least confident on Suresh and Farah :3
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
    3izc87c33l8z.jpg

Here I decided to draw out a table as I prefer to draw things out when figuring out puzzles.

So we know Alice likes a warm drink but doesn't like coffee. The only other warm drink would be tea, therefore Alice is a tea drinker.

Surresh is allergic to caffeine so no tea or coffee for him. But we also know he doesn't like tea or soda. The only possibilities are juice or water. I put him down as water for some reason.

Farah wants a fruity drink. The only fruity drinks can either be soda or juice. I put him down as a juice.

Dan doesn't drink anything hot or with anything sugary, therefore water would be the only option for him.

Cora is allergic to oranges therefore the only option for her is coffee. This is because tea has been taken, the soda could contain fruit, and the juice is made of oranges. Also, water has been taken too. So she would be coffee.

However upon my deductions I noticed that there can't be two of the same order as I put surresh and Dan as water. Looking at both @Morgyn007 and @sinead276 guesses it is possible that Farah actually orders soda. This is because we aren't told what type of soda it is so it could contain oranges. Also Surresh has allergies to caffeine and doesn't drink tea or soda therefore the only possibility just like @Morgyn007 and @sinead276 answered would be juice.

Therefore Alice is coffee, Surresh is juice, Farah is soda, Dan is water and Cora is coffee. I got the same answers as above ☺ though I may have looked at their answers though like the cheat I am 👀 I'm terrible lol 😂 xd
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,032 Boards Guru
    Helloo I remembered I was meant to share the answers to this last week! Here's the answers in the spoiler below:
    Puzzle 1: The Coffee House Conundrum

Based on the clues provided, the correct drink order for each person is as follows:
    Alice – tea
    Suresh – juice
    Farah – Soda
    Dan – water
    Coral – coffee
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤