Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Profile Pics

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,027 Community Veteran
Hi, I know this sounds like an odd question but I have been thinking about changing my profile pic and I just wanted to ask if we can have like our favourite characters or have an image from Google Images. I just wanted to check because I want to have a cartoon character as my profile pic and it is from Google images. Sorry if this sounds like a weird or stupid question.
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    This is a great question @Amy22, there are some rules around copyright and using images you've found on Google. I'm going to double-check with the team when we're all together next week and we'll get back to you on this soon :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Aife wrote: »
    This is a great question @Amy22, there are some rules around copyright and using images you've found on Google. I'm going to double-check with the team when we're all together next week and we'll get back to you on this soon :)

Thank you so much @Aife its been a question I have been meaning to ask for a while :). I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    Hey @Amy22 just wanted to get back to you as we spoke about it this week as a team. Technically yes you would need permission to use someone's artwork or check from the original source what their rules are around re-sharing. It's really common for us all to use images from Google as our profile pictures on online communities so if you can credit where the picture is from in your profile bio or signature, that usually fine to do :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Aife I was really unsure. I decided to use a pic of a garden heart that I took in my garden instead :). Thank you so much for helping me though
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    All good @Amy22! If push ever came to shove, the important thing is we're able to remove that picture if someone does contact us to say it's theirs, and mods have that ability. :)

This has only happened I think twice in my time in this community so it's very rare. As @Aife said, crediting the source somewhere is good practice too (especially if it's independent art).
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Thank you so much @JustV its been a question on my mind eventhough I personally woulden't use any ones artwork without letting them know first <3. Thank you so much though :)