Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

[deleted]

SienaSiena Posts: 15,505 Skive's The Limit
edited June 2023 in General Chat
[deleted]
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

[deleted] 7 votes

Yes it’s rude.
28%
SienaPast User 2 votes
No it’s not rude if they ask in a nice way
71%
Chloe234Past UserAmy22ebyrne556JJLemon18 5 votes
No it’s not rude
0%
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hey! That's an interesting question.

It they say it in a rude way then its rude (obviously). But I honestly think if they ask nicely then I see that as a sign that they care and are giving you the opportunity to talk about it if you want. If you don't want to, then saying something like "I don't want to talk about it" is absolutely fine, and if they persist and keep on asking then they're being rude. In my opinion its best to just be honest, a nice person will understand.
    Also I know that many people are often just uneducated and might simply be curious.

I personally believe that talking about your scars (or any insecurities) is nothing to be ashamed of, even if at first it can feel really embarrassing. But people should understand that if someone says they're not comfortable talking about something then they should just accept that.

This however is just my opinion as someone who never had a problem with any scars, I might probably have a different opinion on this if it was something that did affect me more. Anyways.

Hope you are well. Take care!
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
    I'd say maybe they weren't trying to be rude maybe as they may have been curious about your scars. I guess it can be normal for people to be curious.

I can understand how you feel though about being asked about scars especially if you find the topic triggering too. It can be hard talking about a subject that you find triggering even if something asks you a question about it too.

I personally haven't had any experience with scars or being asked questions about scars, but I think maybe they might have been just a little bit curious as @JJLemon18 mentioned above.

Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Yes it’s rude.
    Ah thank you. The way I see it is my body is no one Else’s business unless you say.

Especially when strangers ask I just think rude
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Siobhan
    It can be impolite to ask someone about their scars, especially if you do not have a close relationship with them. Scars can be sensitive and personal topics. Asking about someone's scars can potentially trigger negative emotions or bring up painful memories.

I think what's more important is to exercise empathy and respect when considering whether to inquire about someone's scars. Ultimately, it's important to approach conversations with sensitivity and respect!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    Yes it’s rude.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Yes it’s rude.
    Yeah same tbh. People act concerned but they’re not. They’re just nosey. Like staff who I have not spoken to once, ever, will ask me being all concerned. No you’re not concerned you don’t even know me. You’re just being extremely nosey and it’s very triggering to bring attention to it when just trying to carry on with my life.