Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Alcohol

SienaSiena Posts: 15,673 Skive's The Limit
Hi. I just need some reassurance going to my gp is the best decision to do with my increase alcohol intake. I’m getting scared that this could be just a phase and going to my gp with make it into a problem.

My alcohol has increased the past few weeks just drinking socialably but also by myself. And then the past two weeks I have been drinking 2 double vodkas before work.

I keep telling myself that I’ll stop but I keep buying the alcohol and don’t really seem to actually have the intention. Think lying to myself.

But I do not feel like my alcohol increase is bad enough to go to my gp about
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 197 Trailblazer
    Hello @Siobhan

I do not have any expertise in regards to alcohol addiction, however I do believe that you know your own body and your own habits better than anyone else. Therefore, if you feel that your drinking habits are getting out of control and that something is wrong you're doing the right thing by contacting a professional who could provide you with the help you need.

Here is handy quiz to check if your drinking habits are healthy
    https://alcoholchange.org.uk/alcohol-facts/interactive-tools/check-your-drinking

And here is another to check how many units you're drinking per week (professionals recommend no more than 14 units per week)
    https://alcoholchange.org.uk/alcohol-facts/interactive-tools/unit-calculator

I hope that going to the gp will help, however if you do feel like you might need some extra help here are also some resources on managing addiction
    An organisation called Addiction Helper offers free confidential addiction treatment advice including private treatment options for people addicted to alcohol, drug-taking, gambling, eating or sexual habits. They also provide much needed advice and support for the families of addicts and information about addictions and mental health issues. You can call them on 0800 144 8543 or request a callback on their website, available 24 hours 7 days a week. You can also e-mail them at info@addictionhelper.com. If you would like more information, please visit their website at www.addictionhelper.com

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Siobhan thank you for sharing your feelings. It's important to remember that seeking help is a sign of strength and courage. It takes a lot of bravery to recognize that you may have a problem and take steps to address it.

Your GP can provide you with information, advice, and referrals to specialized services if needed. They can also help you to assess your alcohol use and provide you with options for treatment and support. Also, We're here to listen to you and support you!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Siobhan, thank you for sharing this with us <3

Its good that you have taken steps to help yourself get back on track and you may find that seeing a GP is really helpful as there are a lot of tips and resources that they can provide you with and they can refer you to tailored help if needed. I think it is a good step that you have noticed this is an issue for you and have done something positive about it that will help you feel better.

Don't forget that we are always here to support you too :)