Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Camera off in counselling session?

starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
I have been attending counselling to get support for a sexual assault for about 5 weeks now but I'm really struggling to open up about what happened and tell my counsellor the story. I have had people tell me that when I feel more comfortable I will open up naturally but I know myself and know that I will never be able to explain what happened face to face. I have 24 sessions but already 5 in and know for a fact it will take more than what I have left to open up.

My sessions are on zoom and I was wondering if It would be acceptable to ask my counsellor if it was okay for me to turn off my camera when I explain the situation to her as I think i would find this easier. I'm not sure why but I think not being able to see my own face on the screen would help me. I am not sure if this would seem weird or something that she would be happy for me to do though so wanted advice before asking.

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,027 Community Veteran
    I have been attending counselling to get support for a sexual assault for about 5 weeks now but I'm really struggling to open up about what happened and tell my counsellor the story. I have had people tell me that when I feel more comfortable I will open up naturally but I know myself and know that I will never be able to explain what happened face to face. I have 24 sessions but already 5 in and know for a fact it will take more than what I have left to open up.

My sessions are on zoom and I was wondering if It would be acceptable to ask my counsellor if it was okay for me to turn off my camera when I explain the situation to her as I think i would find this easier. I'm not sure why but I think not being able to see my own face on the screen would help me. I am not sure if this would seem weird or something that she would be happy for me to do though so wanted advice before asking.

Hi @starfish_17 I hear that you are currently doing online counselling at the moment and you have been struggling to talk to your counsellor about how you feel because of having to use the camera. I'd say it might be a good idea to ask your counsellor if you are able to turn your camer off as you feel uncomfortable being on camera. I'm sure that they would understand and adapt to your needs so you can feel at ease.

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Hey @starfish_17
    I hear you've been struggling to open up with your counsellor, that sounds really stressful but it's still very positive you're receiving the help you need. It's great of you to want to keep engaging with therapy even though you've been finding it difficult, i'm sure you're gonna find your footing soon enough!

You mentioned being anxious about asking your therapist if its okay to turn your camera off during your sessions. I'd say that there shouldn't be any problem, I'm sure your counsellor will understand the situation and it's in everyone's best interest for you to feel comfortable and be able to open up.
    Is there any particular reason why you feel like you won't be able speak freely to them? You mentioned that being seen and seeing yourself through your computer as an obstacle and i was wondering whether you might benefit more from talking about it through the phone at first by calling a helpline. Starting to open up on your own terms might help you feel more confident about doing that face to face with your counsellor later on.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    TitchTitch Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    I think that would be absolutely fine! And they would be welcoming to whatever helps you to open up, so please do mention it to your counsellor. Don't be anxious about asking, I would do the same!

Also, you've taken a really big step in starting counselling to get support for sexual assault, and that takes a lot. So give yourself credit for taking this step to help yourself recover.
  • Options
    starfish_17starfish_17 Posts: 226 Trailblazer
    Hey @starfish_17
    I hear you've been struggling to open up with your counsellor, that sounds really stressful but it's still very positive you're receiving the help you need. It's great of you to want to keep engaging with therapy even though you've been finding it difficult, i'm sure you're gonna find your footing soon enough!

You mentioned being anxious about asking your therapist if its okay to turn your camera off during your sessions. I'd say that there shouldn't be any problem, I'm sure your counsellor will understand the situation and it's in everyone's best interest for you to feel comfortable and be able to open up.
    Is there any particular reason why you feel like you won't be able speak freely to them? You mentioned that being seen and seeing yourself through your computer as an obstacle and i was wondering whether you might benefit more from talking about it through the phone at first by calling a helpline. Starting to open up on your own terms might help you feel more confident about doing that face to face with your counsellor later on.

@genderless_fungi I don't really know why I am struggling to open up. I have never really had anyone to talk to about issues I have faced before and so this seems very new and scary to me opening up about my feelings. I think a big part is that I don't want to break down in front of my counsellor which seems silly because they must see it all the time. I have used phone helplines before and have been able to explain things but I don't like that it's a different person each time and that I then have to explain everything all over again.

Also, thankyou @Titch @Amy22 and @Morgan007 for your replies too <3