Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Music vs Mood

JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
Hi. I'm gonna start of by saying I'm still not too confident on how this place works so if I'm posting too much then please tell me I definitely won't get upset ;)
I honestly feel bad, I've only been here for a week and I've already created so many threads. I don't want to litter this place haha. Sorry for my rant.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about music and its relationship to our mood. (Was debating on whether to post this in the wellbeing category but I feel like it doesn't fit there much so I put it in general)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I know people listen to sad music when feeling sad, I'm not a fan of sad music but recently I've been starting to vibe with it a little. Its like a coping mechanism in some way, I'm not too familiar tho.
Howether, for the past few days I listened to a lot more happy and cheerful songs and I have to say I noticed my mood has slightly improved. I don't know if this is normal and just common sense or its just a coincidence where music wasn't the main factor affecting my mood but it is definitely an observation I made.

What are your opinions about this? I'm curious. Maybe even comment what are your favourite songs that lift your mood, I'd be happy to hear them.

Sending hugs! :)
Believe in me - who believes in you

Comments

• Options
    Morgan007 wrote: »
    it means we know your still here and fighting :)

ohh, that's actually a really nice way of looking at it, thank you :) but don't worry about me, I will be fighting. I'm not here because of giving up, I'm here because of the pain of my situation. I'm definitely not planing on hurting myself or anyone really. I hope I understood that correctly :)
    It's common for happy songs to help make u feel better

Right, of course that's obvious, I knew I'm just an idiot haha. But no seriously, its nice hearing someone else's opinion. Take care!
  • Options
    Hey its okay your not an idiot, sometimes we don't think of it until someone else says it and that's okay :)

That's true. Although I'll still think of myself as an idiot haha, don't worry about it :lol:

If I feel down and have the need to talk about something then I'll just post a thread on it. Thank you for caring though!
    Hope you have a great rest of your weekend! :)
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm gonna start of by saying I'm still not too confident on how this place works so if I'm posting too much then please tell me I definitely won't get upset ;)
    I honestly feel bad, I've only been here for a week and I've already created so many threads. I don't want to litter this place haha. Sorry for my rant.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about music and its relationship to our mood. (Was debating on whether to post this in the wellbeing category but I feel like it doesn't fit there much so I put it in general)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I know people listen to sad music when feeling sad, I'm not a fan of sad music but recently I've been starting to vibe with it a little. Its like a coping mechanism in some way, I'm not too familiar tho.
    Howether, for the past few days I listened to a lot more happy and cheerful songs and I have to say I noticed my mood has slightly improved. I don't know if this is normal and just common sense or its just a coincidence where music wasn't the main factor affecting my mood but it is definitely an observation I made.

What are your opinions about this? I'm curious. Maybe even comment what are your favourite songs that lift your mood, I'd be happy to hear them.

Sending hugs! :)

Hi @JJLemon18 no worries at all about posting on here, I'm totally cool with it. Feel free to post about anything you'd like to as The Mix is all about posting and talking, and everything you post will be highly appreciated by us all. There's nothing wrong with posting lots so please don't feel bad about it.

I got to say reading your post I was very intrigued by this topic and I'm glad that it is being mentioned. As a huge music fan I got to agree with how music can affect our relationship to our mood. In fact, music in a way can have an influencial impact on our moods (dependant on the tempo, rhythm and style of a song or genre). Music for some people and I say this from my own experiences that music can be helpful and can be a form of therapy too. I find that whenever I am in a situation where I feel like my mood has been deflated, I will normally listen to a band or one of my favourite songs. My music tastes tend to fluctuate depending on what style or genre I am into over a period of time. I will be honest I have got my preferences for heavy metal and rock music, as I find sometimes music that is more quieter doesn't often help me. I need the loudness of the rock as I find quiet very loud personally and loud music quiet. (I'm very opposite lol). I also listen to music when I need to focus on tasks or even when I am in college as it helps me to focus.

Music will always be a great love of mine and I am glad to have found someone like minded too on this topic. :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Hey @Amy22 its nice to see you're a music fan too! I'm glad you find my post intriguing. There really is something about music.

Just as you said, music does seem to have a huge impact on our mood with tempo, rhythm, style and genre but in my case it also seems to affect me differently depending on the time of day and where I listen to it. For example, very often listening to specific songs late in the evening while in the car going home, I will get feelings of sadness, loneliness and regret, and I don't know why. This would then make me think of phrases like "starting tomorrow I'm going to change my life and I'm going to start doing something new and being more cheerful" even though it is almost never the case. Its like music can bring out subconscious feelings out that I didn't even know I had. Its really interesting.

You said that music can be a form of therapy and I absolutely agree. I'd be lying if I didn't say that music is often the main source of my motivation. If not for music I think there would be a lot of stuff I just wouldn't be bothered to do and I would definitely be more depressed as a whole. Music sometimes makes me say "lets do this!" if you know what I mean.

I don't understand how you can find quiet music loud and loud music quiet but I find it fascinating. I too like loud music but not in terms of volume but rather the amount of sounds it contains. I'm not a fan of songs where there is one guy singing while playing his guitar and that's it. I love songs that have a catchy beat with a lot of cool instruments and melodies. That's why I too really like rock music.
    Amy22 wrote: »
    I also listen to music when I need to focus on tasks or even when I am in college as it helps me to focus.

I am actually quite opposite in this case. I often can't concentrate when listening to music because I will often just get lost in the music. I connect to it in a way haha its hard to explain.

But anyways. Any favourite songs or artists of yours?
    I hope you are well! :)