Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Struggling with being a student

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 191 Trailblazer
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello.

I have been struggling with being a student. I was thinking about how teachers lecture us about wanting things perfect. A professor was saying they need to give us a kick up the _. I shared my work with a support worker and he pointed out to me that some of my sentences were unclear and asked me what I meant, which felt like he was asking like the error was a 'pet peeve that drives teachers crazy'. I shared with a staff member that I am worried that I am not hitting the learning objectives and she was telling me not to and to just enjoy the creative process, which brought my mood down. So, I was feeling that it is not valid for me to have these feelings. Afterwards, when I was struggled to understand some work, I ended up having a memory of when a past support worker at my university would say something like you have to decide that, making me feel pushed away. Afterwards, I ended up feeling tearful, which was hard to show in front of a staff member when he offered suggestions for my work. I was left affected for the rest of the day, making it hard to study. I shared with another staff member how the situation made me feel, and he just asked to have a look at my sketchbook. I highlighted to him that the staff's comment made me feel that it was not valid for me to worry, and he did not acknowledge what I said, and was saying that my sketchbook is fine. So, I was stuck feeling down and had no outlet.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Creativeboy23

I'm hearing that you are worrying about your uni work and are feeling that the staff at uni are not acknowledging your concerns. That sounds difficult. It can be hard when someone dismisses something that you are worried about. Have you got any other staff members you feel like you could talk to about this and about how you felt?
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 191 Trailblazer
    Hello @jess63.

That is correct. It sure was hard.

Yes. I spoke to my mentor and he was comforting me and telling me what the tutor took from what I said and what I wanted to get out of sharing my worry of her not aligning. That is best I can explain it.