Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

sports for fitness purpose

monic81monic81 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
Hey Guys,
I am interested in playing table tennis on any day of the week, not too late and not too early, just for fitness. It can be difficult to consistently walk for fitness here, due to crazy weather and lack of sidewalks in many residential areas.
I am reading many articles on health fitness and sports. Do you guys have any better option for exercise I just can't bear gym stuff:( Many people can’t afford to pay for the luxury of a gym membership

Comments

• ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    Nintendo wii or yoga for home based leisure 😊
    N stretches off the 'finch' app
    Crazy mad insane
  • support_squad23support_squad23 Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    Hi @monic81,

It's great to see that you're interested in taking up sport, this is a positive way to regulate your wellbeing. Have you enquired within your local community about table tennis? Perhaps this will be accessible via a Google or Facebook search.

Regarding affordability, this is such a pressing issue. Gym memberships can be out of budget for many people. Fortunately, there are exercise apps which offer free workouts, these can also be found on Youtube. It may also be worth looking into local group classes which might be less pocket-rinsing.

Take care.
  • healthbuffinghealthbuffing Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi @monic81
    What got me into fitness was swimming - I would suggest getting a bicycle, get a membership of a swimming pool and ride your bike 3-4 times a week. Both cycling and swimming are great exercises for fitness, and you don't need to get into gym for these.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    Hi @monic81 I don't normally use the gym so I might not be the best for advice. But I do know that you can get Wii fit as an alternative. I used to do swimming similarly to @healthbuffing but I don't do it as much. I know running can be good exercise as me and my mum used to go running in the summer time as it does get very dark in the winter. I know this other option is probably weird, but like if you got Animal Crossing New Horizons and a Nintendo Switch, there is a stretching/yoga exercise thingy and the more you do it you get rewards to decorate your island I think. There are also like Youtube fitness videos and theres a fitness coach called Joe Wicks, he is very good too. Hope this helps :).
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films