Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Doctors. Wen u start with new

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
Why do the need a sample from u now? They didn't used to at the beginning
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    Or is it just for the very older ppl
    Crazy mad insane
  • support_squad23support_squad23 Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    Hi there @ellie2000,

Would you be able to give us a bit more detail about this situation and your concerns? This helps us to provide you with the right guidance.
    edited November 2022
    Do u hav to provide Ur DNA Nd y? In a little pot
    Crazy mad insane
    edited November 2022
    Wee, or is tht too rude. Thts why I put it In other words 😊
    Crazy mad insane
  • jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi Ellie,

Was this for an appointment for a particular reason, or just an appointment as you were new to the practice. Wee samples can be helpful for GPs, they can test wee to see if there is any protein, glucose or blood in your wee that could be causing certain symptoms and they can use it to diagnose certain conditions for example UTIs. They can't get your DNA from a wee sample and they should only ask for a sample if they want to check for something. If you have any concerns about giving a sample though you can always speak to the doctor.
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
    The starting up for doctors, is it new thing thing they do now, do they mix it in their drinks afterwards, so not to waste it
    Crazy mad insane
  • jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    I'm not entirely sure Ellie, maybe it's just what the Dr surgery does, I'm sure if you ask someone at the Docotrs they can tell you why they ask for a sample. As someone who works in a lab and handles wee samples, I can promise you we don't mix it in our drinks, i'm sure that wouldn't taste very nice :lol: We actually keep the samples for around 4 days in a special fridge and then when we have done the tests we need to on it, it gets thrown out in a medical waste bin.
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.