Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Curse you Cancer! (Content Warning)

Hi everyone, it's NeonBlueThunder1 here. I just wanted to vent about what's going on in my life currently. :anguished: My life has decided to be incredibly cruel to me all very suddenly, as a family member of mine has found out they have terminal cancer, and doctors have said they cannot do anything.

I'm completely gutted, and to make matters worse, I'm probably going to have to move home. :astonished: Uni is worrying me too, so it's all very overwhelming. :cry:

Comments

• NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    edited September 18
    Past User wrote: »
    Evening @NeonBlueThunder1 I'm so sorry that life is being cruel, do u want to talk about why you might have to move home?

Sending hugs to you and your family <3<3

Hi @Past User, I would prefer to keep the reason why I might have to move private, as it is rather personal. Hope that's okay. Thanks for the hugs. :heart:
    Post edited by patrickDev on
  • genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 197 Trailblazer
    Hello @NeonBlueThunder1

I think it's very brave you decided to open up about what's been going on in your life and reach out to your peers for support. Having to face such an overwhelming situation must be very tough and the added worry linked to university life and moving home must make the situation more difficult to cope with. I want to remind you that you can always use this forum to talk about your feelings and to vent about the situation, this is a safe place and we're here to help you in any way we can. In this particular situation what would support look like for you?

I want you to also know that your feelings are valid. A diagnosis of cancer can also emotionally affect family and caregivers and it's understandable that you might feel overwhelmed. Additionally, I want to make sure you don't feel alone in dealing with these strong and negative emotions. Cancer Research Uk is a cancer research and awareness charity which runs a forum you would be able to use to find people in a similar situation and to share your perspective: www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-chat/welcome-to-the-forum/about-us.
    Here you'll also be able to find some useful information on how to support someone with cancer: www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/family-friends-caregivers/how-support-someone-with-cancer.
    and how to take care of yourself in the meantime: www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/family-friends-caregivers/taking-care-of-yourself.

You also mentioned having a hard time in uni, I was wondering if you could talk a little bit more about the situation and your feelings around it.
    We also have dedicated forums to discuss Student Life & Education and stress around exams in Exam Time. You can definitely speak about the issue here but please feel free to also take a look at both forums, you might find some useful information and people dealing with your same issues!

I hope you find this information helpful!

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @NeonBlueThunder1

A similar thing happened to a family member of mine. She missed a mammogram due to covid and then all of a sudden, she had terminal cancer. It sucks. It sucks when it feels like you are helpless. It makes you appreciate life but it's sad something like that happens to make you appreciate life. You can always vent on here, whenever you need.

When things get overwhelming, come back to the present. Try to do something mindful, like a meditation, or some colouring in. Or maybe have a shower and try to wash it all off your skin. Sometimes things happen all at once and can weigh down on you, but you are strong and you are resilient and we are here to support you <3

• sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,462 Wise Owl
    @NeonBlueThunder1 I'm so sorry you're going through this at the moment. I can't begin to imagine all the emotions you are feeling right now.

Remember we are all here for you if you need support, a place to just express your emotions, or just have a good rant about life (I've found even that can help sometimes).

Sending lots of hugs,
    Sinead <3
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,506 The Mix Elder
    Hi @NeonBlueThunder1 I'm so sorry to hear this. I can imagine how stressful and overwhelming it must be for you during this time of moment. Having a family member with a terminal illness must be heartbreaking especially whilst dealing with uni work on top of it all. It can be hard finding a way to continue through all of this but maybe doing things you enjoy can ease the stress and overwhelming feelings in your life. I am always here if you want to talk more or even if you want to pm me anytime about anything. I am here's here <3 . I think it's very brave of you to reach out on here during a very scary time of your life. Hope you are okay,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 ♥
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
    edited October 2022
    Thank you all for your lovely messages, it means a lot in a horrible difficult time. :heart: Its very hard to pinpoint exactly what would help at the moment, which is why I can't say what would help, but I really do appreciate all the advice given. I will definitely remember that I can turn to the wonderful The Mix community to share my feelings. :+1:
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Hi @NeonBlueThunder1 I'm so sorry to hear this. I can imagine how stressful and overwhelming it must be for you during this time of moment. Having a family member with a terminal illness must be heartbreaking especially whilst dealing with uni work on top of it all. It can be hard finding a way to continue through all of this but maybe doing things you enjoy can ease the stress and overwhelming feelings in your life. I am always here if you want to talk more or even if you want to pm me anytime about anything. I am here's here <3 . I think it's very brave of you to reach out on here during a very scary time of your life. Hope you are okay,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 ♥

Thank you so much Amy, that means alot. :smile::heart: Its one of the most difficult and painful experiences I have ever gone through, you're absolutely right about it being heartbreaking. Yes, hopefully the hobbies and things I enjoy will help me work through all this. :+1:
    edited October 2022
    RenP wrote: »
    @NeonBlueThunder1

A similar thing happened to a family member of mine. She missed a mammogram due to covid and then all of a sudden, she had terminal cancer. It sucks. It sucks when it feels like you are helpless. It makes you appreciate life but it's sad something like that happens to make you appreciate life. You can always vent on here, whenever you need.

When things get overwhelming, come back to the present. Try to do something mindful, like a meditation, or some colouring in. Or maybe have a shower and try to wash it all off your skin. Sometimes things happen all at once and can weigh down on you, but you are strong and you are resilient and we are here to support you <3

I emphasise with you with losing a family member to such a cruel and heartless disease. :pensive: It's so awful, and as you pointed out makes you feel completely helpless. :anguished: Hopefully medicine will advance enough one day to cure, and if not that, at least control the spread well enough to prevent people losing their lives to it.

That's really helpful, and are definitely tips I will bare in mind. :smile: Thank you so much for bravely sharing your experience.