Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I can't help but feel so annoyed at my agency right now

spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
I will start off my saying that it definitely started off as my fault and I take responsibility to that.

Basically, I'm working as a Nursery Assistant through an agency. I let them know a little over a week ago that I'm available for work on Wednesday 26th (so tomorrow), the same day I have an appointment. I will admit that this was my fault.

I realised on Friday and then text her to let her know. My hours were suppose to be 8-6 but I asked if it was possible to do 8-2 because I felt bad about the idea of missing the entire day. She then asked if I meant Wed 2nd, don't know why because we never discussed having a shift at that time. I said no obviously, it was the 26th and she hasn't replied in two days. She then told the nursery my availability and told me to try to work my appointment around my working days next time understandably, but my appointment was weeks in advance and it really was that I forgot about it. I told her that and I apologised and she thanked me for it. She did that today this morning. Later on, she asked if I can do the 8-6 and cancel my appointment because that nursery is desperate for a worker and will struggle without the full shift and they felt let down as they tried to book a worker in advance and also, the client hasn't contacted that agency in a while. I felt bad so I tried cancel the appointment, but of course I can't because it's literally tomorrow and I won't be able to get a next one until December. I decided to try to have my appointment during a lunch break and work until 6:30 to make up for it and offered that compromise. Took a while for her to reply and she declined my call twice and ignored one. I understand she's busy, but what annoys me is that she sounded desperate and yet there's a huge lack of communication.

I'm an unqualified agency staff. She had 5 days to sort this out but she takes a while to reply (she did text me on Sunday in the past). I literally cried today because of the stress and guilt I felt. Since it's agency, I find it a bit hard to believe that there wasn't a single person available to work that day. Some people literally get called to work at 7am and get an hour to get ready. I admit that saying I was available in the first place was my fault but I said it 5 days in advance. And yet, I had to wait a long time for a reply, sometimes I reply to her straight away and she still doesn't see my text. I know people in other agencies sometimes mention appointments later then that. I can't help but feel let down myself to be honest. This agency seems to put a lot of stress on times more than other agencies I hear about as well. My first time I worked, I found out last minute and when I told them what time I can work, they requested earlier.

Anyway, I most likely am going to work tomorrow, she said she's gonna let the nursery know tomorrow morning. I know this is mostly on me but I still feel really annoyed and a bit upset.
Whats a signatureeeww

Comments

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
    That sounds really frustrating to keep experiencing with your agency @spoon and understandable you're feeling annoyed with them. I'm hearing their communication hasn't been the best and you've tried everything you could to try and change your appointment or fit around work as much as possible. It's unfair on you that she took a long time to reply to you, these are things you need confirmation on and they should be communicated quickly. You also gave them five days notice so they had a bit of time to try and find alternative cover.

You mentioned the agency has a few other people who work at the nursery so if others were unavailable, you being there for some of the day is still helping them in some way. Sometimes it's really hard to change an appointment and with the long waiting times at the moment, it's important to put yourself first because you don't know how long you'll have to wait until the next available appointment.

How was work in the end today?
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    Thanks @Aife

Ended up being allowed to go home at 2:30 and they would’ve allowed me to go half an hour earlier as well lmao
    Whats a signatureeeww