Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Book about climate change you NEED to read

PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
Hey folks,
So I finished reading 'There Is No Planet B' by Mike Berners-Lee today (it came out in 2019, but I put off reading it for about 2 years) and just wanted to say, if you're reading this and interested in fighting climate change and generally changing the world, this book is a really good place to start. I thought it was all going to be doom and gloom which is why I put off reading it, but Berners-Lee actually has a tonne of really interesting ideas for how everyone from individuals to world leaders can make changes, and how our economic, political etc. systems need to change to create a world that isn't just more sustainable but is more equal and where everyone has a better quality of life. It actually left me feeling pretty optimistic and with a bit more faith in humanity than I did before I read it. So yeah, if you're into climate activism or want to get started, this should be one of the first things you pick up.
Happy reading - feel free to put any other book recommendations in the comments!
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Thank you for sharing this with us, @PenguinSky. I'm going to go and buy myself a copy this weekend, it sounds really interesting! <3

Have you ever read The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells? That's another book on climate change that I found really interesting. It might be a little bit more of the typical 'doom and gloom' narrative that you mentioned, though. It tells a story of what the earth is like in the future, if we carry on with our current behaviours, to act as a warning.

It sounds as though Mike Berners-Lee takes a much more optimistic approach, which sounds awesome!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • Options
    AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    I have come across a lot of information about climate change over the past 30 years. And the evidence now seems totally overwhelming that human industrial activist is rapidly changing the climate. But it is so annoying that so many people keep denying that climate change is happening even after this summers record breaking heatwave which saw record hot temperatures all across the world.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,050 Wise Owl
    @PenguinSky, sounds super interesting so I might just have to give it a read :3