Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My parents threatened to put rubbish in my mouth because I wash my hands too frequently

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
My parents threatened to put rubbish in my mouth because I wash my hands too frequently. I am so scared. I don't think I can control my hand washing. I feel like everything is contaminated. They told me to stop being anxious.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    I’m so sorry about this Kate. You don’t deserve to get threatened and you can’t help being anxious. Is there any coping mechanisms you have that you may have found helpful in the past?
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    edited August 2022
    Thanks @spoon I tried but it only helped temporarilly. Now I think I am better off dead. Only when I am dead can I stop washing my hands.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    ItaliaItalia Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hey @Kate_20

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. That is a really scary threat for someone to make, and no one has the right to make you feel scared or to threaten you. As @spoon said it's not your fault you're feeling anxious and I can really hear how strong the feeling that everything is contaminated is. This must be difficult, you are doing so well reaching out for help here. :)

Managing anxiety like this can be challenging and you deserve lots of understanding, patience and the very best support - although we it can be difficult to find the right support.

Some people who describe these behaviours get support from OCD Action. This might not be your experience or it might be, so this is a place where you can go to have conversations and find out a little more.

It sounds like things are quite intense right now, so if you feel like you need more immediate support, although you've probably seen these before, here are some resources for you to contact as well as us:
    Crisis Messenger (24/7) | text THEMIX to 85258Samaritans (24/7) | call 116 123 | email jo@samaritans.orgPapyrus (2pm-midnight) | call 0800 068 41 41 | text 07786 209 697 | email pat@payrus-uk.orgSupportline (hours vary) | call 01708 765 200

Kate, this sounds difficult, and I'm so glad you're here with us. You're not alone. <3

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Kate_20 I’m so sorry to hear this. Are you safe right now? Is there anyone in your support network that can help you, away from your parents?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend