Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How to make a self-care box

AoifeAoife Community Manager Posts: 3,077 Boards Guru
edited August 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Hey everyone,

Over on The Mix's Instagram page, we've created some beautiful graphics on how to make a self-care box.

What is a self-care box?
A self-care box is simply a box of items that you can use to help yourself feel better when you may be feeling low or anxious. They can include things that remind you of comforting memories and allow you to focus on yourself and your healing <3

Below are some tips for creating your own self-care box so that you can focus on taking care of yourself.

What items would you find most helpful to have in your self-care box?

92g3mncmarjn.jpg
q2vdrbtkw541.jpg
dhdasqbdgasd.jpg

Image description:
Image 1: The graphic is titled ‘How to make a self-care box’ and reads ‘To help you look after yourself whenever you’re struggling’. There is a graphic of a little box with some books, pencils, candle, a flower and hot water bottle in it. Swipe to read more.

Image 2: The second image has the first 4 steps; Step 1: find a box and decorate it. You can use an old shoe box, delivery box, or a pencil case or wash bag for a travel-friendly version.
Step 2: Add in some positive affirmation cards or your favourite uplifting quotes.
Step 3: Include an activity such as a colouring book, journal or a game.
Step 4: Write down a list of your favourite songs to go back to when you need it.

Image 3: The 4 final steps: Step 5: Add a candle or essential oils to your box. Scents can help you feel more present.
Step 6: Include something you can touch such as a stress ball or bubble popper. This can relax the muscles and can help with anxiety.
Step 7: Include photos of people or places that have positive memories attached to them.
Step 8: Your self-care box is ready! Store it somewhere that’s easy to access you can use it anytime you need it.

If you decide to make a self-care box following our tips or already have one, please do share any photos below <3
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,210 Community Veteran
    edited August 2022
    @Aife This thread is brilliant. I may consider doing it over the summer ready for when I go back to college in September. I kinda got a self care box though it's a makeup bag full of fidget toys. I also use post it notes on my wall as a strategy thing if im feeling nervous. I love this idea so much <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films