Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UKRAINE

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,971 Community Veteran
edited July 2022 in Politics & Debate
IS PUTIN GONNA STOP SOON
Crazy mad insane
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 109 The Mix Convert
    I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like it. In my opinion Western governments are just as responsible for the continuation of the war.

We're no better than we were during the Yugoslav wars, Rwandan genocide, the Killing Fields, or the annexation of Czechoslovakia. Appeasement doesn't work, and we seem to know that; but we're doing a half-hearted slow escalation of anti-Russia measures and support to Ukraine that screams "we're doing the least we can that makes us look like we're doing something". We've sacrificed Ukraine to Russia to save our own necks and it disgusts me.

I say "save" loosely, because have you seen the price of [insert name of anything here]? The poorest of our society are going to die.

We were more than eager to interfer in Iraq when we shouldn't have and we caused a lot of harm and a big distrust of the West, and perhaps that's why we're scared of interfering in foreign wars again.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    Playing devil's advocate, do you think the risk of a nuclear engagement is also a factor here @Owl?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    is the uk gna b swept under water, i hope so hahahhahahahahaha
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    or is tht a scare tactic frm russia,
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    i h8 being intetrested in todays issues
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    Mike wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate, do you think the risk of a nuclear engagement is also a factor here @Owl?

I suspect it is, though it's hypocritical because we invaded Iraq because they "had WMD's" but won't protect Ukraine because Russia has WMD's.

Ukraine giving up their nuclear weapons was a factor in Russian aggression, and Russia's status as a nuclear armed state has afforded it more leniency from the international community. This is terrible for the future of nuclear disarmament.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    i h8 being intetrested in todays issues
    Do you find it stressful to keep up with the news, @ellie2000?
    Owl wrote: »
    Mike wrote: »

I suspect it is, though it's hypocritical because we invaded Iraq because they "had WMD's" but won't protect Ukraine because Russia has WMD's.

Ukraine giving up their nuclear weapons was a factor in Russian aggression, and Russia's status as a nuclear armed state has afforded it more leniency from the international community. This is terrible for the future of nuclear disarmament.
    I think these are fair points :+1:
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    its stressful n the world is wierd wen we want to get on with life
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    psychology shows us people will perform atrocities they otherwise wouldn't commit if only they are ordered to with enough authority, groups have more extreme views than individuals, and groups that value cohesion make worse decisions than individuals. As long as there are people you can point at and say "they're different" we'll defer peace and getting on with our lives for bloodshed.

big hugs Ellie, we're all in the same sinking boat <3