Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Get involved! How can we promote wellbeing and positive mental health in schools?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,082 Boards Guru
edited June 2022 in General Chat
UPDATE:
Mike wrote: »
If anyone wants to get more involved with this, we're running a group session about it and we'd love some of you to come! You can sign up here - it's on the 30th June.

Some of you may have been involved in the work we're doing to reach and support as many people as we can. We've been listening to your suggestions and are excited to share that The Mix is going to schools!

We are launching The Mix Connect!

What is The Mix Connect?
The Mix Connect is a lifeline tool for both staff and students, offering built-in solutions to the different issues young people may be facing. It can be embedded on school websites, intranets, or learning platforms and allow students to access wellbeing and mental health support quickly through their school.

It offers access to free and anonymous information using a quick, simple search function that will give access to:
  • Over 2,000 pages of advice and information on everything from bullying and depression to self-harm and exam stress
  • Topic-specific online and on-the-ground support services
  • Access to our online community to connect with you, our amazing community.

To support this, we are going to create a website full of videos and guides to help students promote positive wellbeing in their schools. We'd love your help!

We want to hear your ideas on what students could do to promote wellbeing and positive mental health in their schools? What could we create guides on to help?

Comment below your ideas! We'd love to hear them :)

Aife & the team
We're @Aoife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 8,096 Legendary Poster
    If someone has a concern about something or is just struggling but they don't feel able to talk to someone about it then there should maybe be a box where people can write down what it is that is bothering them and also their name so then a member of staff can read it and speak to the student if needed. I remember that in primary school there was a worry box and some secondary schools have an online thing similar to what I have mentioned but not all schools have it. I know that sometimes students can bottle up their concerns or feelings for a long time and then they end up just completely breaking down (it has happened to me before) because they are worried about other students finding out such as if they listen into a conversation but if there is a box thing where students can post a message to staff then it could be better because the student would then be spoken to at another time and the other students wouldn't get suspicious.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • OwlOwl Posts: 109 The Mix Convert
    reading the page, it sounds like everything that the mix offers young people (for free) anyways, but the schools pay £3k a year for data on their students' problems? are students' anonymity protected?
  • JoeJoe Moderator, Staff Posts: 26 Boards Initiate
    Hello I'm Joe Wyatt the Safeguarding Officer for The Mix and helping out with The Mix Connect toolkit. Thank you for your thoughts and comment already.

The suggestion box is a great one, do you think this should be a physical box or could it be digital version work? Should it be both?

The student's data will be anonymised unless a student put in data that means they can be identified. We just ask for their school, year group and location (so we can suggest local support. It doesn't have to be their home address, it can just be a location near by)

One of key parts of this offer to school is the toolkit we are looking to put together for students. That's why it would be great to keep getting your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 8,096 Legendary Poster
    I think that both of those would be a good idea.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,464 Part of The Furniture
    If anyone wants to get more involved with this, we're running a group session about it and we'd love some of you to come! You can sign up here - it's on the 30th June.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    The truth resists simplicity.