Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mirtazapine and weight gain

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this isn't the right section for this post, I wasn't too sure on where to put it. My problem is, I've been on mirtazapine for around 7 months. I know the side effects are increased weight gain, and it's harder to lose weight.
I've started to get anxious about my weight and I've been sticking to 2 meals a day but the hunger is still crazy.

I want to come off mirtazapine and try another medication, but I'm worried I might become really down and worse than before, I can't really remember what I was like before. I've tried some other medications which made me worse, them being Prozac, Sertraline, Buspar, Quetiapine and a few others.

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone has any experience or guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @SacredBlade welcome to the mix. It can be really tough experiencing side effects to medication. It must be really hard to be worried about your weight like that. Have you spoken to anyone about it? I understand that it’s worrying having to come off medication to try another one, I had the same worries could you speak to your GP and see if they have any solutions to help?
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    SacredBladeSacredBlade Posts: 4 Newbie
    Dandelion wrote: »
    Hey @SacredBlade welcome to the mix. It can be really tough experiencing side effects to medication. It must be really hard to be worried about your weight like that. Have you spoken to anyone about it? I understand that it’s worrying having to come off medication to try another one, I had the same worries could you speak to your GP and see if they have any solutions to help?

Hi Dandelion, thank you for your reply. I have tried speaking with the GP a lot, which they have left me with not many options, I have booked an appointment with the mental health nurse, however that's almost a month away. The last times they told me not to go to them because I was previously with BeeU, who have now dropped me from their services. BeeU told me to speak with my GP who laughed when I told them they sent me to speak with them. So I'm left with little just to keep trying the GP again. They also offered me the same medications I was on a few years prior, however they made me feel worse and they said that's all they could do, unfortunately.
  • Options
    That sounds really annoying I understand how bad it is at the minute having to wait for appointments. Is there any GP there that you’ve had a better experience with that you could request an appointment with I know I defo prefer certain GPs over others.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    That sounds really annoying I understand how bad it is at the minute having to wait for appointments. Is there any GP there that you’ve had a better experience with that you could request an appointment with I know I defo prefer certain GPs over others.

I didn't even think of that actually, I will deffinitely look into finding another GP. I thought I had to stick with the same one unless I moved house. Thank you for telling me that, I appreciate it!
  • Options
    No problem it's always worth a try, let me know how you get on
  • Options
    No problem it's always worth a try, let me know how you get on

Hi Dandelion hope youre doing well?

I remembered you wanted to let you know how I got on.

It went worse than before, and now they are saying "I'm not bad enough" for support.
    Not a great update, but thought i'd let you know anyways. I'm going to contact
    HealthWatchEngland and see what they say, however they haven't been alll so helpful
    before either.
  • Options
    roxbyroxby Posts: 23 Boards Initiate
    Hi @SacredBlade was wondering how it went when you contacted HealthWatchEngland?
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling anxious regarding your weight.

I'm in a similar situation to you, I've been on sertraline for roughly 2 years and have gained weight on it. I spoke to my pharmacist about it a while ago and they were pretty dismissive, basically saying to exercise more. I'm not too sure what to do as well.