Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student issues

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 196 Trailblazer
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello all.

I was going to finish my course at foundation degree level, but I have changed back to wanting to top up to top up to the BA (Hons) Graphic Design. I am worried it is now too late to change my mind, since I have received an email about registering to graduate. Also, that there may not be any clearing on the course, and I will be judged for my decision.

I often feel that I come second as a student when I need support from staff and inferior when I enter my university and am asked to do class tasks and shown the learning objectives I need to meet every lesson. I often feel I am doing something wrong when staff point out errors. I have also experienced a memory today of when my tutor said she has to be able to give me feedback without me being upset, without acknowledging my feelings.

I am often shy to ask questions in front of a lot of people, as I am worried of the embarrassment of not getting anywhere after clarifying my questions. Also, about my questions getting judged rather than being answered.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    gemmadixgemmadix Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey @Creativeboy23
    You definitely shouldn't be worried about being judged for this, it is great that you want to carry on studying. I would definitely ask the university about this, the worst they could say is no, and whilst this would be disappointing you could still apply to continue for the next september.

I also understand that criticism can be be hard to take especially when doing an artistic subject as you are. Taking criticism graciously, is hard a skill many of us are still trying to learn, but it sounds like your teacher may need to be more tactful when giving you feedback on your work.

Something to remember when you ask questions in class is that nobody will judge you, as people may be having the same questions as you but too afraid to ask that question out loud!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Hello @gemmadix. I felt disappointed yesterday and woke up this morning affected because you were giving me far more advice than empathy. You did not begin with acknowledging why I might be feeling I will be judged for my progression change, and asking questions in front of others. However, thanks for taking the time to reassure me. I do understand that you was just trying to help, and I agree with the points you raised.
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Following on from the great advice @gemmadix has already given, do you want to talk about how you are feeling about your progression change and asking questions in from of other @Creativeboy23 ? I understand it can sometimes be difficult to ask questions in front of others.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Hello @Dandelion.

I feel okay about it now. I am going to talk to student services about my progression change and take it from there.

Being shy about asking questions is not on my mind anymore.

Thanks for asking me to share with you how I am feeling about those things.