Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alcoholism & Rape

BlossomBabyBunnyBlossomBabyBunny Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
I'm an alcoholic. Since I was raped, I have been drinking way too much. It's been a way of coping with the incident and my post-traumatic stress disorder. I'm trying to remain sober but it's so bloody difficult. Honestly, I cannot cope anymore.

Comments

• Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    @BlossomBabyBunny I am so so sorry that you are going through this. The fact you have reached out is a massive step and you should be proud of yourself for that. It is also important to acknowledge that this is a problem you have, which you seem to have done. Acknowledgment is the first step to recovery.

Drinking is a common coping mechanism, you are not alone in this. Have you spoken to a professional about this? I think this would be the best way to gain support if you haven't already? Recovery looks different for everyone and it isn't always linear. Quitting anything is very challenging especially when it is used to help cope with something like PTSD. You should be proud of yourself for trying to remain sober and recover, please do not think of a few setbacks and starting over again, any amount of time sober is progress, you are going in the right direction <3
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hello @BlossomBabyBunny

Sending so much love your way :heart: I'd love to echo what Daisy has said. The fact you have reached out for support is a huge step towards getting the support that you truly deserve, I am so proud of you and I want you to know that we are right here to support you :heart:

It's positive that you have been able to identify that drinking is being used as a coping mechanism, and that you've been trying to remain sober. Having this awareness is a really great step towards recovery - well done :heart:

I'd love to ask the same question around whether you have spoken to anybody about this before?

I'd like to signpost you this page by the NHS called "alcohol support". At the bottom of the page is a list of useful support links and a bit of information about who they are and what they do. It may be worth having a little read and seeing which support you feel would work best for you. You really do deserve to be supported.

Take good care :heart: