Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

An assssment.

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
05th November
I had a screening assessment related to possible ADHD, and the results were... Well, damn.
Turns out I have ADHD and dyspraxia. Fair enough.
That's not why I'm typing this though.

I'm typing this because of the assessor - we'll call him Greg.
As I was recounting my childhood memories, he looked severely concerned.
He asked questions like "Did no one notice this?" "How did you manage this for the last x years?" etc.
At first, I thought it was just him doing his job but looking at his eyes, I could see this grave concern and worry. I can't explain it but it was warm and comforting. Not once did he interrupt me, he just let me ramble on, let me recount my disjointed mess of a memory. When I stopped, he asked me more about it.
As time went by, it suddenly dawned on me how much I've been struggling as a kid - that's for another time.

I feel strangely happy? Relieved? To know that it wasn't one of those "checklist appointments" where they're just running through questions, and listing basic NHS symptoms. There was a lot of time and care into it.

Comments

• BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @lovemimoon this is honestly so uplifting to hear. I’m so pleased you had an assessor who made you feel supported and understood.

These assessments can be very anxiety provoking and distressing when recounting childhood experiences, so it’s really comforting to know you were being supported throughout.

I’m really sorry to hear that it brought up upsetting memories for you. If you ever feel safe or happy to talk about these, feel free to reach out whenever you need.

You’re honestly doing so great! These assessments can be so difficult emotionally and mentally. So persevering through is so incredible, and I’m pleased you had a positive experience with this overall!
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    I'm really glad to hear your assessor was so supportive @lovemimoon - can really hear how kind and caring he was during your assessment. Really makes a difference when someone takes the time to listen to you <3

Just wanted to echo what @Brookee said and say we're here if you want to reach out about any of the memories this brought up for you. Reach out to us anytime, we're here for you <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This was lovely to read about your assessor. You deserve somebody who truly cares and listens and I'm so glad that's what you experienced. Thank you so much for sharing this with us :heart:

(As above, if you ever do feel you'd like to speak about anything that was brought up, we are right here for you :heart:)