Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Scared that my GP is going to weigh me

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited November 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
I do suffer from severe depression for quite a while. I have lost interest in food. My GP told me today that they are going to weigh me next week. I am really scared. I cannot motivate myself to cook or eat.

mod edit: removed references to eating behaviours
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Kate_20 I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling. Did your GP tell you why they are going to weigh you? I’m sorry I don’t have any advice on the weighing process itself, but if you’ve lost interest in food it might be good for your GP to know so they can help you in the best way… Have you been able to be honest with them about how you’re feeling?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    Lucy307 wrote: »
    Hi @Kate_20 I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling. Did your GP tell you why they are going to weigh you? I’m sorry I don’t have any advice on the weighing process itself, but if you’ve lost interest in food it might be good for your GP to know so they can help you in the best way… Have you been able to be honest with them about how you’re feeling?

@Lucy307 They know that I need to die and that I am underweight. I don't know why they are going to weigh me.
    edited November 2021
    I weigh even lower than I expected and receiving warnings from my GP. I have been trying to gain weight but I failed. I feel hopeless. I need to die.

Post edited by JustV on
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    edited November 2021
    It's good to hear that you are talking to your GP @kate_20 . How much have you told them about what you've been feeling and experiencing?

There's still time, there's always still time <3
    Post edited by JustV on
    My wisdom teeth are growing as well and it is excruciatingly painful. I don't know how I can cope with my food really :( It is just making things harder at crucial times :(
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Kate_20 I'm so sorry, I had the same problem. I had some teeth extracted through recovery and it seems ludicrous to say but as soon as I had the first taste of not eating, I felt myself go back to how I was the beginning of recovery. Have you tried some numbing gel? Perhaps drink smoothies instead and soft foods. Just remember that you are doing this for you and you only and it is ok to prioritise yourself- that's what got me through recovery! Good luck, stay safe.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Kate_20 I just wanted to message to say that I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through right now. I noticed that you are feeling quite distressed about the GP weighing you. Is it possible for you to express these feelings with your GP? It can be really difficult to eat when you feel low mentally. I have been through similar scenarios in the past, and it was always because I was feeling too depressed, it may be helpful to try and eat something smoother, like soup perhaps. I've also noticed you're feeling suicidal, do you feel okay to share anything more on this? If not, please don't worry. Be gentle with yourself, you're doing incredible and it's very important and brave of you to reach out on the forum like this. Thank you for expressing your feelings with us, I know it can be difficult.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    edited November 2021
    This sounds very difficult.

I'm in a weight controlled sport so I am very aware of weight control.

Long term though you really want to get support from a doctor, look into healthy meal plans because weight control is tricky and can be dangerous if done wrong.

Good luck my dear

Post edited by JustV on
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hey folks, just a gentle reminder of the eating guidelines:
    Eating disorders: Please avoid sharing details about your specific weight, calorie counts or any behaviours, as those specifics can lead to people making unhelpful comparisons. Examples of this are saying what or how much you've consumed, or what methods you use to restrict or purge. You're welcome to use broad terms like 'binge', 'restrict' and 'purge' - just not how you do that.
    Although it's not explicitly stated in the guidelines, this also extends to methods for losing or gaining weight (even temporarily) for the same reasons mentioned above. These conversations can trigger competitive thoughts, both to people participating and to people just reading.

More than happy for y'all to talk about the emotional side to this and anxiety around being weighed as I know that can be a triggering and traumatic process for some. ✨

I've made some edits to large parts of this discussion to remove the behavioural stuff. You're welcome to continue the conversation within these boundaries if you like @Kate_20. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.