Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Issues with Burnout

La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
Ever since my third year of university, I've been struggling with burnout. It happened through my entire last year and has followed me to even job hunting (which is very tough because i feel quite a bit of pressure from my family to get a job because they see me being unemployed as 'doing nothing'). It has made life a bit tough because I am fatigued on a daily basis, and am mentally worn out.

Maybe I am pushing myself too hard, but the thing is I really have no choice but to do so if I am ever going to move to the next stage of my life...I am very lost on how to heal it so then I can be strong enough for the next hurdles to come in my future.

How does one cope with burnout? Is there any good advice sites to help with it?
~ Dreamer ~

Comments

• La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    It is nice to vent about it XD
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi @La_La. Burnout is tough because the only thing for it is to relax and take some time of, but I understand that its not easy for you to do that as you have alot of pressure on you to get and job and start working.
    Advice i have is slow down a bit, maybe spend a few hours a day looking for jobs or applying for jobs but don't over do it. If you see a job that really like then apply, but don't apply if your not sure.
    Fill your days with other things that you enjoy doing like seeing your friends or playing video games.
    Burnout can take sometime to go away, so ensure that you are not consistently over doing and taking time each day to relax.
    ANother thing is that taking some time of from the job hunt is not going to stop you from finding a good job. Taking time of may even help you find and get you a good job as you will have more enegry to apply. There are alway opportunities coming up and nothing disastrous will happen if you not looking every second of every day. You're human you need a break.
    these are some good website that talk about burnout and strategies to help get rid of it
    https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/burnout-recovery#control
    https://www.thisiscalmer.com/blog/5-stages-of-burnout
    @SirArchibald

Thank you for the advice, this is very helpful!! I agree, some days I end up searching all day. I think you are right, pacing myself would be better.
    Thank you for the links as well, this was very helpful! :3
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    @La_La
    No worries, I'm glad they helped.
    I know how taing the job hunt can be, it really hard when you put so much effort into applying for a job only to hear nothing back. But eventually you will. In the mean time try not to spend too much time searching. Pacing yourself is a really good idea.
    I hope that you start to feel better <3
    @SirArchibald Thank you, and yes definitely! :3
    Thank you for helping me, it's really encouraging to hear that. I see. If it's okay to ask, how did you work through the difficulties of job hunting?
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @La_La I am sorry you are going through this-it is definitely something I have struggled with myself and honestly, the only piece of advice I can offer is to take time for yourself! It is something everyone has heard but a small break while revising or taking time for selfcare definitely helps you destress and recharge. Think about it, are you really going to do something if you mentally can't? I think a timetable is also really helpful but instead of focussing on time spent job-searching, focus on the activity. I hope that helps and good luck!
    @maryam852 Thank you, this is very helpful!! You are right, I need to protect my mental health
    I have a bit of a timetable on my calendar... I admit I'm not very good at sticking to it XD
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @La_La,

I'm currently job hunting after graduating and have experienced this too! It can be so tough, but I'm right here with you :heart:

It can be so easy to just sit and scroll through job websites all day. Personally, I'm trying to allocate set job hunting times throughout my day. (Key word, trying, hahaha..I can see you say you aren't very good at sticking to your calendar. But the fact you are trying is a really great first step for sure! :heart:). Normally morning and evening, knowing that after I close my laptop that's it for the day. If I find one to apply for, I take my laptop to starbucks so that I'm in a different environment - that seems to help with the drain of long applications :blush: Planning other things to do throughout your days helps to prevent the endless scrolling too. So perhaps planning a walk, meeting up with a friend, baking etc. Something away from screens :blush:

I think as well, there is a pressure to be doing *something* - especially as you say your family see being unemployed as doing "nothing". What I've learned is that there are so many other productive things you can do that aren't related to employment. You might start a new hobby or revisit old hobbies that you perhaps lost time for. You might get into journaling, to explore who you want to be. You might start volunteering, or perhaps visiting a city you've always wanted to go to. These are all totally valid things to share with future employers about how you've spent your time...but most importantly, you can also learn so many invaluable lessons and skills along the way.

Best of luck with everything! :heart:
    Dear @coc0mac , thank you for your very kind and helpful answer. I wish you all the best in your job hunting as well. Your techniques sound really good- I have definitely made the mistake of searching all day sometimes or forgetting to take care of myself in non-job hunting hours.

And yeah you're definitely right! There are so many productive things besides career related things that can be done too.

Thank you again :3
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    edited October 2021
    Heya @La_La

I'm experiencing the same thing with uni!
    Echoing what everyone says here; take time with yourself.
    I personally find it helpful to break down certain tasks into "blocks".

Instead of doing it all in one go, I dedicate around 10-15 minutes for this task.
    It may not seem like much in the moment, but as you go about your day, you'll slowly see that it's all coming together. Hope that helps ^^"

There's also an article I found here:
    Expert tips for dealing with feeling overworked and overwhelmed

Hope you're okay. <3
    @lovemimoon Thank you for the advice! ^^ I'm 50/50, I hope you are alright.
    That is very good advice!!
    I wish you all the best with university.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Franc_23Franc_23 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi there @La_La,

I can definitely relate to your struggle as I've been experiencing severe burnout since day one of my BA. A couple months back I was grinding MA applications and was having a hard time with those sneaky personal statements that make you question your life choices and "progress" up to the point of writing them.

Adding to the previous helpful posts, I would watch out for two things:
    - with endless applications often comes an overwhelming need to check your inbox for signs of acceptance. Moving on from one application to the next, while allowing yourself to 'crash' and rest in-between might enable you to manage fatigue as responses magically come in!
    - you might also feel some external or self-generated pressure to find a great job right from the getgo. Perhaps just getting the ball rolling with a temporary job you feel ok with will give you enough of an energy boost to step along to roles you find more desirable.

This noob poster hopes you might find any of this helpful :)

@Franc_23 Thanks for the advice, it's nice to meet you!
    I don't think this was noob advice at all, you've made really solid points here. Doing those things would certainly lessen the pressure on my chest, that's for certain. I appreciate it. ^^

Also, I wish you all the best with your burnout as well. University is so pressure intensive sometimes...
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Franc_23Franc_23 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Yay! Thanks for the wishes back.
    To be fair some of us are just more prone to exhaustion/fatigue that manifests physically and mentally.
    I don't know about your personal history, but if this is one of your first major fatigue flareups, fret not!
    Though it might very well happen again, every time is a chance to get acquainted with what your body and mind need.

Everyone's idea of resting is different, and it's always both reassuring and rewarding to discover your way to go about it B)
    For me, it's either pillow over the head sensory deprivation or full-volume music, no in-between!
    You're right! Those are good remedies.
    Thank you, I was very unused to such burnout but yeah I will find a way to deal with it too :3
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • FriendlyneighbourFriendlyneighbour Posts: 34 Boards Initiate
    Hi @La_La

I agree with what others have said that it is important to slow down and take some time for yourself when you are feeling this way. You may even find having more of a balance, that you have more energy to apply and can get more done in less time.

Something I've found that helps me a bit as well is to try and keep my home and work lives separate, for instance, I find going to the library helps and then when I'm at home I can fully relax without it being on my mind.

Also getting out for fresh air is really healthy for the mind and energy, if you can find time to go for a walk during the day, it may help split up your day a bit and take your mind off work.
    @Friendlyneighbour Thank you! This is very good advice. Fresh air can definitely work wonders, you're right.
    ~ Dreamer ~