Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

applying for a council house

downtherabbitholedowntherabbithole Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
I'm in scotland and I know that I've got to be at least 16 before I can apply for a council house

If I move into a council property, would I be eligible for extra benefits to help pay the bills, that i wouldn't get if I stayed at home?

In which case, will the council base wether or not I can afford to live in the council property on the income I will recieve once I have moved in to the council property or the income I will have prior to that?

Also, it says I have to apply for a house to my local council. But, I want to apply to live in a different council, is that possible?


  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Community Champion Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    It all depends on your income situation as to what benefits you'd receive. Anyone can live in council housing and you can live in any council area. I'd recommend applying to every council area because you could be waiting years depending on the area and your priority.

    If you put that you've been kicked out of your home (whether you have or not) you'll go higher up the priority list. They do a point system and the more points the higher the priority I believe.

    Council houses are considerably cheaper than a private rent regardless of bills etc.

    Once you get a council house you can actually do house swaps with other people (there's groups on FB etc) and as long as you're eligible for the house then you can request the swap through your local housing association.

    If it will only be you living alone then you'll only be entitled to a 1 bedroom house/flat regardless of your situation.

    If you've got any more questions do let me know! I'll try and help :)
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
Sign In or Register to comment.