Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long term medication or unrelated ?

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
I just wanted to ask a question about long term psych meds and side effects?

When I was on Quetiapine I ended having facial spasms that I'd notice especially when eating. That was a while back and I'm no longer on Quetiapine, I'm on citalopram and have been for around 3 years now and I've noticed that I sometimes it's hard to swallow and itts scarede a few times because I've almost choked. I don't want to assume its medication related I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this?

I've gradually gained 7lbs in this time that just won't budge, but I'm not sure if it's medication related, hormonal (pcos) or just because I've reached 25 and my body just doesn't work the same anymore.

I gained the weight when my dad was sick and dying. It also brought on the acne which is suffered with ever since. It's one of those things that's hard to determine what the cause might be.

When I last spoke to my doctor, it was looking like I might have pcos something I did notice (which is a bit odd) was that with the weight I gained, I also got a bit more hairy 💀.I've asked my colleague to have a not her look at blood results so hopefully I'll be able to get a better idea of whether it's meds related or hormonal.

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hopefully the blood test can give you an answer. Meds can definitely have side effects long term, and weight gain is probably one of the most common of these. I’ve gained a lot on my meds and it’s one of the reasons I’m considering going back to the GP and asking to change meds.

Defo worth speaking to your doctor again, they might be able to adjust your meds if they think that’s what’s causing issues for you.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    @Salix_alba_2019 , unfortanely pscy med can have many unpleasant side effects like the ones you mentioned in your post. But, different medication at dosages will impact you different. It would be worth it to talk to your GP about your worries and they can help you find the right medication on dosage for you. It can take some trail and error but worth it in the end