Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

personal statements

jsb_123jsb_123 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is anyone else struggling to write their personal statement? I'm supposed to have already completed a draft of it but I'm having a really difficult time and it's starting to stress me out!
Any advice?? <3
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    jsb_123 wrote: »
    Is anyone else struggling to write their personal statement? I'm supposed to have already completed a draft of it but I'm having a really difficult time and it's starting to stress me out!
    Any advice?? <3

@jsb_123 Are you in uni?If so, you can ask for help from career advice. They can help you with personal statements. I find them very helpful.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • summerxo21summerxo21 Deactivated Posts: 321 The Mix Regular
    jsb_123 wrote: »
    Any advice?? <3

hello,
    my partner and I are at uni so do you need advice?
  • jsb_123jsb_123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    going into my second year of college but we have to start applying to unis the start of next year
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @jsb_123

Personal statements are tricky! They feel so unnatural to write as you are trying to sell yourself. Just jot down a full main points, e.g., why you want to take that course, why you want to take the course at that uni (praise them for their good reputation), what you have done in the past that would make you a good candidate, your skills, a bit about yourself (hobbies), etc. Then just write these in to a rough draft, and remember the first draft is not perfect, thats why its your first! After your first, your advisor may give you some advice and help to amend it.

Good luck!
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Make a bullet point list of things you've achieved in your life. Big things, small things. Anything you like. Anything that's important to you.

Make a bullet point list of things you enjoy doing, volunteer work, work experience, ambitions etc.

Make a bullet point list of anything else you want to include or be relevant - why you're applying to the course, what you want to do in the future etc.

Then expand on these points. Once you've expanded on the points you'll have basically written everything you need. Rearrange and organise them however you feel fits!

Then write it again - rewording anything. Read it aloud, read it to a friend.

Then write it one more time. Proof read it, read it out loud. Honestly you'll be done in no time :)
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Would love to echo the above advice :blush: Also, take a look at what's involved with the courses you will be applying for and see how you fit. So, I did psychology at uni and it seemed they wanted somebody who was both interested in helping people and had scientific rigour. So I gave examples of both sides.

You can also find examples online for each subject. I found those helpful! :heart: