Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I an attention seeker? (TW: suicidal feelings)

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
My life is really a mess right now. I feel like I failed the education system because I was so lucky to be taken care of by a very nice department but unfortunately I have used up their help (the uni is not a charity). I am someone who is unable to fix herself. I have to move accommodation but don't know where to go and I am still unmotivated to find a place (maybe I am just lazy and need some punishment). I feel like I am too much for my friend and those who care about me. I owe them too much. Sometimes I found it a bit annoying when I received messages from them when I was thinking about my death (kind of hate this kind of distraction, because I have to keep on living and life is not getting better). I know I am very selfish. I have to reply to them though just because they care and strangely I am still reaching out for help (contacted another previous teacher recently and opened up about my situation by showing him a piece of writing). I don't know what I am doing it for. I really want to say to them that I will die so that they can stop wasting time on me but I cannot do that because they would waste more time on me. I really want to stop replying to their messages so that I can die but it is so hard now. I don't want them to blame themselves or feel like they have not offered enough to me. Sometimes in conversations, I may strangely say goodbye to people. I did not mean to say goodbye to them but it was out of control. Am I an attention seeker for having these thoughts or saying goodbye to people?
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Kate_20,

Firstly I want to say that you are certainly NOT an attention seeker <3 Sharing your thoughts is really brave, so thank you for being so open with us - you should be proud of yourself <3

You sound like you're in a tough place at the moment, but please know that 1) you're not alone, 2) you are not a burden to your friends, family, uni etc and 3) you are valued and loved <3

You have not failed the system. The people at your uni are there to help and support you - they want to do this. If this route is still open to you, please go back to them and share your thoughts - it sounds like they were helpful and you got on well with them. If you feel comfortable with them, I would recommend re-engaging with them. They might also be able to help with your accommodation concerns.

Please know that you are not unfixable! It's likely that these thoughts are making you unmotivated, and that is not your fault. I can understand why you would think you are too much for people, but you are not! They are contacting you because they care about you and you're important to them

You can acknowledge where you are at and you have been seeking support - this takes courage and is a positive thing, even if it doesn't feel like it now <3 Even though the darkness is here at the moment, it will not last forever - there is always a light at the end of the tunnel - and you can reach it! I'm not going to say that it'll be simple, but your post shows your strength of character, so you are able to overcome these feelings <3

You could maybe us a distraction technique to help manage your negative thoughts - writing down, naming things, wrapping yourself in a blanket etc? They don't always work first time, but if you stick with them, they might help.

If you want to talk to about how you feel (anonymously), please talk to us on here, access The Mix helpline/chat, or text Shout on 85258 (https://giveusashout.org/). Please know that we are here for you <3 x
  • Options
    liv_roseliv_rose Posts: 17 Settling in
    Hey @Kate_20 ,

Just like AbbyOwl said you are NOT an attention seeker and I really wanted to reiterate that point. The fact that you are reaching out just means that you want to be heard, not because you want attention, and you are being heard. You aren't alone and the feelings that you are having are not just experienced by you. I think that it is important to reach out to as many people as you can, so talk to the friends that have reached out to you and continue to use the support your Uni is providing, they are all there for a reason. Please also speak to yourself kindly, don't call yourself selfish for wanting to speak up, you are a person who is worth a lot and you are worth everyone's time and I hope you know that and that is what you tell yourself, you are a worthwhile person.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and continue to do so as whether you know it or not people are always there for you and always willing to listen and help!
  • Options
    AbbyOwl wrote: »
    Hi @Kate_20,

Firstly I want to say that you are certainly NOT an attention seeker <3 Sharing your thoughts is really brave, so thank you for being so open with us - you should be proud of yourself <3

You sound like you're in a tough place at the moment, but please know that 1) you're not alone, 2) you are not a burden to your friends, family, uni etc and 3) you are valued and loved <3

You have not failed the system. The people at your uni are there to help and support you - they want to do this. If this route is still open to you, please go back to them and share your thoughts - it sounds like they were helpful and you got on well with them. If you feel comfortable with them, I would recommend re-engaging with them. They might also be able to help with your accommodation concerns.

Please know that you are not unfixable! It's likely that these thoughts are making you unmotivated, and that is not your fault. I can understand why you would think you are too much for people, but you are not! They are contacting you because they care about you and you're important to them

You can acknowledge where you are at and you have been seeking support - this takes courage and is a positive thing, even if it doesn't feel like it now <3 Even though the darkness is here at the moment, it will not last forever - there is always a light at the end of the tunnel - and you can reach it! I'm not going to say that it'll be simple, but your post shows your strength of character, so you are able to overcome these feelings <3

You could maybe us a distraction technique to help manage your negative thoughts - writing down, naming things, wrapping yourself in a blanket etc? They don't always work first time, but if you stick with them, they might help.

If you want to talk to about how you feel (anonymously), please talk to us on here, access The Mix helpline/chat, or text Shout on 85258 (https://giveusashout.org/). Please know that we are here for you <3 x

Thanks Abby. I am still trying to seek help from the uni while things are not going smoothly. I do feel like I reached their limit and they wouldn't want to hurt me if the regulations can be changed. I am a bit tired of distracting myself sometimes but will try some techniques you introduced when I feel up to it.
  • Options
    liv_rose wrote: »
    Hey @Kate_20 ,

Just like AbbyOwl said you are NOT an attention seeker and I really wanted to reiterate that point. The fact that you are reaching out just means that you want to be heard, not because you want attention, and you are being heard. You aren't alone and the feelings that you are having are not just experienced by you. I think that it is important to reach out to as many people as you can, so talk to the friends that have reached out to you and continue to use the support your Uni is providing, they are all there for a reason. Please also speak to yourself kindly, don't call yourself selfish for wanting to speak up, you are a person who is worth a lot and you are worth everyone's time and I hope you know that and that is what you tell yourself, you are a worthwhile person.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and continue to do so as whether you know it or not people are always there for you and always willing to listen and help!

Hi @liv_rose thanks for the kind comment and it is good to know that I am not alone in this dark place. I did not call myself selfish for wanting to speak up. I am calling myself selfish for wanting to die. I know that I probably shouldn't do that. I am sorry. :'(
  • Options
    Hey @kate_20 don't apologise for anything, I am just glad you were able to be open about your feelings so others could show you that your feelings matter.
  • Options
    summerxo21summerxo21 Deactivated Posts: 321 The Mix Regular
    hey @Kate_20 i cannot type a long essay but i am always here for you and i am going through the same, and i am so sorry and i wish you a happy life you deserve it take care and happy Saturday to everyone :) bye for now,

Summer
  • Options
    Thanks @liv_rose @summerxo21 for your kind comments. These mean a lot to me. Although there really isn't any practical help from uni any more, you make me feel supported.
  • Options
    Kate_20 wrote: »
    Thanks @liv_rose @summerxo21 for your kind comments. These mean a lot to me. Although there really isn't any practical help from uni any more, you make me feel supported.

keep talking to me :)
  • Options
    @Kate_20 I am sorry to hear about the lack of support in Uni but I am so glad I have made you feel supported, you deserve to be supported :)
  • Options
    Kate_20 wrote: »

no worries you deserve the help take care <3