Homeā€ŗ Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting āœØ
Options

Change of meds: Sertraline

Past UserPast User RecoveringšŸ„€LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    edited August 2021
    Hey @zaynab_5 sorry to hear you're feeling rough at the moment :/

You said you changed medication a week ago, were you weened off the fluoxetine? They usually say it take 4-6 weeks to start seeing benefits from a new medication, and that side effects will lessen over that time and the longer you take it. What time do you take the sertraline each day? I've found some SSRIs like sertraline and citalopram can have different effects depending on when you take them. It's worth keeping a journal of all these side effects if you aren't already, then you can show it to your psychiatrist at your next review.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    Hey @zaynab_5 sorry to hear that you're experiencing so many side effects <3@Supernova wrote a better reply than I could, and the journal idea is really good as the brain always seems to go blank whenever you need it most.

When I started sertraline, I too experienced lots of side effects. My doctor and psychologist told me that they tend to calm down in 4-6 weeks and that's when the meds start to have a beneficial effect. However, the side effects were getting more severe, so I told my doctor about 5 weeks in and she changed me onto new meds straight away. I changed directly over, without any withdrawal of sertraline, and this wasn't too bad. I was reassured that there are lots of options and obviously people react differently to meds so there's no telling what will work for who.

With the side effects you are experiencing, I would highly recommend telling your psychiatrist as soon as possible. Suicidal thoughts are unfortunately a common side effect of SSRIs, but you should not be left experiencing any of these side effects, so please tell someone and they will hopefully be able to change your meds quickly <3 Remember that you're super strong for getting to this point and I really hope your psychiatrist can find you med that suit you better <3x
  • Options
    AnnieDPAnnieDP Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
    Hey @zaynab_5, I'm sorry to hear that your side effects have been difficult so far. As the above responses correctly stated, it can take a little while for the positive effects of the medication to kick in, but please contact your psychiatrist or GP if these suicidal feelings continue, as it's important that you're given any extra support that you need during this period of time. <3

Let us know if there's anything more we can do to help, take care :)
  • Options
    Past UserPast User RecoveringšŸ„€ LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    meilameila Posts: 83 Budding Regular
    Hi @zaynab_5, just thought I'd chime in because I've had a lot of experience with antidepressants!
    Firstly you are doing fabulously observing all these side effects rather than getting caught up in them, so really well done for that! :3 I know it can feel so strange sometimes!

I definitely agree with what @AnnieDP said and @AbbyOwl about seeing a professional! Sudden changes in medication do a lot to your body! If it's any consolation, before they found the right medication for me they'd put me on all sorts, and it was a real rollercoaster, similar to the position you're in yourself! You are doing so brilliantly though :3 You are acknowledging the side effects as side effects, and that's so important <3

From a coping side of it all, knowing you'll see a psychiatrist is really important, but aside from that, maybe try to imagine it as (okay don't judge mešŸ˜…) a Mulan situationšŸ˜‚At first, everything is a battle, she feels behind with everything and is so new to it all, but gradually she gets better and better, and by the end she's climbed up that pole and BOOM she's on a new level of confidence and self-assurance; that's how my antidepressant journey very much felt! (sometimes for extra confidence, 'make a man out of you' is a very motivating songšŸ˜‚) When you get where you need to be, everything comes together <3

I hope this helped in some way or at least made you smile :3
    Always here if you want a chat or just someone to listen <3
    Meila :3<3
  • Options
  • Options
    OliOli Posts: 120 The Mix Convert
    Hey, @zaynab_5 :) I'm really sorry to hear that you've been struggling badly with the side effects of Sertraline.

My doctor prescribed me Sertraline a few years ago and they completely knocked me for six at first. Especially the loss of appetite, struggles with sleeping, feeling very hot, and having very dark thoughts. So I can absolutely empathise with how you are feeling right now <3

And whilst what others have said about it taking 4ā€“6 weeks to see the benefits of the medication is true, it only (thankfully) took around 1ā€“2 weeks for my major side effects to pass. So hopefully that's a little bit of reassurance for you. But medication does affect everyone differently, so please don't be disheartened if you're still experiencing some side effects for longer than others.

But I definitley agree and echo what everyone else has already said. Try and keep a diary of all your side effects, and certainly see your doctor if they get worse/keep persisting. And as @Supernova mentioned, changing what time of day you take the Sertraline can have a big impact on its side effects as well.

Stick at it though, you're doing really great! And we're always here if you need us <3
  • Options
    @zaynab_5 I'm so so so happy I could help you it means the world! <3 makes me very emotional actually!
    And yes you are exactly right! :3 Keep in touch, so proud of you! :3<3
  • Options
  • Options
    @zaynab_5 that's such amazing news YAYšŸ˜ fabulous steps in the right direction! :3
  • Options
  • Options
    OliOli Posts: 120 The Mix Convert
    zaynab_5 wrote: Ā»
    @Oli thank you so much for the support! It really does mean a lot <3
    I have a little update: my suicidal thoughts have vanished and I am really happy about that so I think I'll cope well with the medication! :)

That's fantastic news, @zaynab_5 <3 I'm really happy to hear that!
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @zaynab_5

It's really positive that you are feeling a bit better, and hopefully the medication helps you :heart:

We are here for you :heart:
    Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus DumbledoreĀ 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.