Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

financial mistake

downtherabbitholedowntherabbithole Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
edited August 2021 in Home, Law & Money
I'm a few months away from being 16 and am In scotland which is relevant as the laws are different here.

I written books. I've done the research and I can't afford the upfront costs of self publishing, and every publishing house I've looked at is either closed for submissions or not accepting unsolicited submissions and therefore require me to have a literary agent which would take at minimum 15-20% of the profits for every book I sold.

I'm looking into selling the book as an e-book on amazon instead. I've made an account, linked mums husbands phone number to my account (I had permission), and now I've got to fill out an online form so that amazon can pay me.

When I was about 6 years old, there was an advert for a game called MoviestarPlanet and I was addicted. I played the game almost everyday. I always wanted this thing called VIP which would make me cool in the game, and I frequently got hacked by people tricking me saying they'd give it to me for free, and would lose my account and all the items on it. My mum wouldnt even pay for the week VIP which was just a few pounds. When I was 8 she told me to come off the game because I was getting bullied on it, and losing my virtual items, getting hacked etc. I sneakily played it anyway for years.

When I turned 10 a debit account at the bank of scotland was set up in my name and I recieved between £0.00 and £20 each week for clothes and shoes. by the time I was 11, I had almost £200 in the account. Mum stopped paying me an allowance at that point because she said I wasnt working for the money so didnt deserve it, and that I should be doing jobs around the house for free anyway and contributing, and that I have to start contributing and doing jobs around the house for free, and that shes not giving me any allowance anymore

I spent almost every penny on a few years worth of VIP until I had something like £2 in the account so it remained open. I realised my mistake that I'd wasted so much money even though I loved being able to experience being VIP when I'd wanted it for years. So I contacted Moviestarplanet pretending to be my mum and that my daughter had spent the money on my card on the game. I asked for a refund. I realised if I continued to do this I could continue to experience being VIP and just claim refunds. But after a few times moviestarplanet staff must have realised something wasnt right because they just stopped giving me my money back. At that point I didn't want to tell them the truth incase of legal action for the sake of 200 pounds.

I would recieve bank statements in the post for the money that I had spent and recieved, which I threw away.

bank cards expire after a few years so I sent in for another bank card this year, because I want to write and sell books and need non-expired card details to recieve the money. The bank of scotland sent my card to the wrong house on our street. We found this out when we didn't recieve the card for a while and phoned the bank who closed the bank card so that it couldn't be used. my mum was scared that they've spent the money on my account because they didnt return they card and she wants to go into the bank with me to find out if there's money in the account and to close it and open a new account with another bank. She would want to launch an investigation into the lost money or get me to and it's quite possible that she'd work out that the money was spent years ago if they don't have the records for it.

She's the type to frequently get on at me for things I did throughout my entire life and I'm sick of it, and don't want to add to the list of things she gets on at me for.

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @downtherabbithole sorry to hear about this, I can imagine this would make you feel anxious not knowing whether your mum will find out. I don’t suppose you are able to ring the bank instead of go in to the branch? If you are the account holder you should be able to do this and save the trip? What do you think?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hi @downtherabbithole

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It must be very worrying for you to know that your mum could potentially find out what happened with your money. You say that the laws are different in Scotland, can I just ask how old you have to be to go to the bank by yourself and sort this out without parental consent?
    I think lots of people have things that they did previously at a younger age that they now regret. Would you be able to explain to your mum that you wish you hadn't done it?
  • Options
    downtherabbitholedowntherabbithole Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
    edited August 2021
    I have to go into the bank because they messed up and sent it to the wrong address so for security reasons they want me to verify my identity, even I said my address and even confirmed it by saying it again and answering the questions they asked me

I have to be 16+ to sort this out myself. I'm 16 soon anyway but not soon enough.

I know her and she will not let it go if she finds out