Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Body Dysmorphia

jessi278jessi278 Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi my name is Jessica. I was diagnosed with body Dysmorphia along with severe anxiety and afrid which is an eating disorder.

I am currently receiving treatment for this in the form of cognitive behavioural therapy. Has anyone else received this type of treatment ?
I am towards the end of my treatment and have found I’m already in a much better state of mind. I have realised that I do not need to deserve food or do extreme amounts of exercise to be able to eat some cake.
My body Dysmorphia has been caused by childhood trauma that has resulted in me finding restricting my food intake as a form of control over the lack of control in my own life growing up.
I want to be able to help others who have an eating disorder or anxiety that causes them severe distress in their daily lives.
What do you think causes body dysmorphia?
Do you find anxiety rules everyday activities and sometimes it’s worse some days than others ?

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Welcome to the community Jessica. :3 Glad you found us - you're in the right place.

I don't have any experience with body dysmorphia myself, but it's awesome to see you sharing your experiences of treatment and recovery. These things can feel so impossible to get through when we're in them, so it's powerful to hear examples of people coming out the other side.

How are you feeling about finishing your treatment? Huge well done on giving it a go by the way - sometimes that's the hardest thing of all with recovery. Sounds like you're doing amazingly. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there @jessi278 and welcome to the boards, thank you so much for sharing your own experiences and for wanting to help others talk about these things. I personally haven't dealt with body dysmorphia but I know a lot of people who have and I often hear about how it is as much a societal issue as a mental health one. Society as a whole seems to be obsessed with telling women how they should look and what their flaws are it's no wonder so many people internalise those ideas.

As Mike said I hope your treatment is going well and you're able to keep making such great progress, any time you need to talk about what you're going through us on the boards will be here to listen. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.