Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Advice for coping with emotional dysregulation?

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
Hiya.

I've been diagnosed with emotional dysregulation a couple of weeks ago but I've been struggling to find ways to move forward.
I'm already on medication and I'm attending group therapy.

Any advice?

Comments

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much at the moment @lovemimoon it's certainly understandable that getting a diagnosis like this would make things difficult for you. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been on medication for this? I only ask because sometimes medications for things like this can take a while to "kick in" so to speak.

It does already sound like you're doing a lot of positive things for yourself, talking on here on the boards and going to group therapy are already huge steps that a lot of people struggle with! Has your GP mentioned any other options for you on the medical front? They'd probably have a better idea of what's out there than I would after all. :sweat_smile:

I hope things start improving for you really soon but you can always talk about how you're doing here on the boards. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hi @Riley

It's been a month since I've been on this medication and I've been experiencing a lot of side effects. So I'm just playing the waiting game. :joy:

My GP hasn't mentioned anything about that. They did say that they'll check in 3 - 4 months time, so if I've been experiencing any changes, I should call them.

Thank you! I have been searching up online ways I can move forward with this but it's been... confusing.
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Hi @lovemimoon i’m sorry your struggling could you explain what it is so I can understand more ❤️❤️
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    edited July 2021
    Ooooh, I'll explain! @_Tech_Addict_Girl
    Sorry about that :joy::sweat_smile:

There's a website that explains this well but I'll try and summarize it here.

Emotional Dysregulation
    Emotional dysregulation is when you have a poor ability to maintain emotional responses within acceptable range of typical emotional reactions. So it involves experiencing extremely intense emotions compared to the situation that triggered you. During that experience, you might:
    • Struggle to calm down
    • Avoid difficult emotions
    • Focus your attention on the negative
    • Behave impulsively when your emotions are out of control.

This also involves also struggling to recognize the emotions that you are experiencing when you become upset. You might:
    • feel confused about your emotions
    • feel guilty/embarrassed about your emotions
    • be overwhelmed by your emotions to the point where you're unable to make decisions or manage your behaviour

Does that make sense??

Emotional dysregulation's associated with a lot of disorders too! Like BPD and ADHD, for instance.

I'll leave some sources here so you can read more if you're interested:
    https://www.pchtreatment.com/who-we-treat/emotional-dysregulation/

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-dysregulation-5073868

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/what-is-emotional-dysregulation

https://rogersbh.org/emotional-dysregulation-facts
  • Rose124Rose124 Posts: 69 Boards Initiate
    Hi @lovemimoon

That sounds really difficult for you, I too suffer a mild form of emotional dysregulation as part of my ADHD, so I know how challenging it can be to live with emotional dysregulation, but just know that you're not alone in your thoughts and feelings and that there is support out there for you.

In terms of advice that I can give you for how to move forward with your diagnosis, I would probably say to just know that your diagnosis of emotional dysregulation is absolutely okay and valid, it doesn't make you less of a human at all, in fact it makes you, you and being you is a brilliant thing to be. Also allowing yourself time to process and come to terms with having being diagnosed with emotional dysregulation is absolutely okay and very important too. Taking everyday as it comes and allowing yourself to feel the emotions that you feel and not being hard on yourself for having those emotions, as all of your emotions are valid - also reminding yourself of why you are feeling that certain way and reminding yourself that emotions will come and go and pass over time, and that each of your emotions which are you experiencing are valid might help too?

Wishing you all the best. Sending you lots of big virtual hugs your way.