Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Giving myself a break.

Rosie_hRosie_h Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
After being diagnosed with depression and anxiety, I was given a chance to finally breathe. It was a chance for me to take a step back and really look into what I had been going through for so long, and that I did not need to meet the 'extreme' experiences that I had read so much about, and that my struggles were just as important and relevant. The trauma I went through started to lose its hold on me in ways I am still finding the words to describe, I began to take a step back and cope with everything.
Going to University was something I had always said I would never do, I hated school, well, I hated my peers who has tormented me for so many years and made me despise the learning environment, AND the teachers who ignored it. But after my initial doctors appointment for diagnosis, and my mental breakdown which entailed crying for 5 days straight, I felt a sense of relief. I had let out all of the resentment, stress, and emotions that I had buried deep down, and felt a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. What I did not expect, was the outcome of that breakdown, me applying to a Psychology with Counselling undergrad degree! I have always been the person who aspired to work with others, and be in a caring job, and I had tried many different avenues to accomplish that, but this undergrad degree really spoke to me.
Over 3 years I was able to delve deeper into the industry that had provided me with this new purpose, to see the ups and downs the psychological profession had, the history of mental health and treatments, but also to meet other likeminded individuals. I met my best friend, whom I bonded with on the very first night, who in a sense has also empowered and encouraged me to continue on this path. She has been not only a supportive friend and got me through extremely tough times at University, but has also practically became a part of my family. She was able to get through to me, and show me how much I blamed myself, despite this feeling of relief, and was able to get me to re-evaluate my treatment and see that it was no longer as effective as it once was. That girl has saved me, she makes me see that I am a good person, and that I am built for a profession in psychology. I aspire, to be like her and like the doctor that I met that very first appointment. I want to become that person for every individual I meet. I want to learn about their cultures, their struggles but also about what makes them happy, and help them realise their worth. I want to become the person that helps them see that they do not need to be this perfect person, and that yes we all have flaws, but to not see these flaws as weaknesses, but as things to improve upon.
I aspire to become an advocate for people to give themselves a break, to come to an understanding that dealing with trauma not only impacts you during, but impacts you after it 'stops'. We deserve a break, we deserve to be viewed as individuals and not a generalization. We DESERVE, to be seen and heard. We have a voice, we matter, and the things we have gone through, and the illnesses that we have, do not define us, we are able, we are important. We must learn to give ourselves a break to heal, so we can help those close to us do the same, and then begin helping the rest of the world.
:heart:

Comments

• lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Rosie.

ROSIE.

Words cannot describe how freaking aspiring this is. To read your journey about your mental health and to see you where you are now is amazing! At some point, if I'm looking for a therapist/doctor or my children are, I'm coming to you first thing!

I can tell you have a lot of passion for what you do and you have so much love to give! <3
    I hope there's more people like you out there. <3

This here. To have a friend that inspires you to thrive and to fight. Honestly, give her a big ass hug:
    Rosie_h wrote: »
    I aspire, to be like her and like the doctor that I met that very first appointment. I want to become that person for every individual I meet. I want to learn about their cultures, their struggles but also about what makes them happy, and help them realise their worth. I want to become the person that helps them see that they do not need to be this perfect person, and that yes we all have flaws, but to not see these flaws as weaknesses, but as things to improve upon.
    I aspire to become an advocate for people to give themselves a break, to come to an understanding that dealing with trauma not only impacts you during, but impacts you after it 'stops'. We deserve a break, we deserve to be viewed as individuals and not a generalization. We DESERVE, to be seen and heard. We have a voice, we matter, and the things we have gone through, and the illnesses that we have, do not define us, we are able, we are important. We must learn to give ourselves a break to heal, so we can help those close to us do the same, and then begin helping the rest of the world.
    :heart:

The last bit about deserving a break - you could not have said it better.

Overall, this is just beautiful. Welcome to the Mix! <3
    When's your next TED talk? :joy:
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This gave me chills. Absolutely amazing! I am so proud of you, and thank you for sharing this with us. I wish you the very best of luck with your career journey! :heart:
  • AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    Rosie - you are a :star:

Thank you for being so open and sharing your experiences with us. As another Psychology graduate and someone who is working in the field, I'm so glad that we've got someone like you doing such great work and really wanting to help others <3 Best of luck with your continuing journey :blush: