Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bad days

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
The last year I have been doing so much better mentally but recently I’ve been starting to have more bad days than normal. Today was one of those days. At work (in retail) we have headsets, like radios that we wear to talk to other people. I’m a supervisor so I have to wear one as we need to communicate with people a lot. I feel like I ask so l much over the headsets like I nag everyone asking managers for stuff etc. I hate it every time I have to ask for something. Some days I just hate talking but when I’m at work I have to. I just feel like everyone there hates me they are all so annoyed when I ask something. None of the other supervisors ask stuff nearly as much as me but it’s things I have to ask (like we have to ask a manager if we need more staff on tills etc), but I feel I ask to much and it makes me feel so anxious whenever I have to ask. I feel on edge all the time like I literally teared up when a manager told me I did something wrong. I feel like I’m trying my best but that’s not even good enough. All the staff managers and other supervisors hate me and I don’t know what to do about it.

I know this probably makes no sense but I just had to get it out.
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Big hugs x
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hey!

Firstly, thank you so much for sharing this with us! <3 You must having a really stressful time at work.

I'm sorry you're having a really difficult time. To start things off, it's completely natural to have questions from time to time. You're working in a job where teamwork and communication are required. Things may change or you might be in a sticky situation so some people may need guidance. <3

Now, I don't have a job but I have (still am) been that person in your situation. I remember getting so overwhelmed with this situation that I completely shut off from everyone. Over time, I've learned to be more resourceful with what I have. I'm not entirely sure what your job entails so I apologize if this doesn't apply: If I'm stuck over something, then I would go back and check the resources, manuals, etc. If it's something that isn't covered in the works then I ask.

Perhaps, you can talk to the manager about this and see where you can go from there?

How are you feeling? <3
  • kaypoppitkaypoppit Posts: 17 Settling in
    Hello there @Dandelion,

First lemme just say, oh my god retail sucks. I relate to what you’re saying with the headsets, I used to work in Argos and had to wear a similar thing, and they were the most annoying things.

Secondly, I just want to say that anyone who works in retail is already doing a great job. Unless you’ve worked it, nobody really understands the amount of patience and mental energy it takes. AND you’re a supervisor? I could never get past just being a regular service advisor, because the job is so demanding, so I can’t even imagine how frustrating some of your days are, so a massive hats off to you.

I really relate to you here, I find myself thinking like this when I’m in work sometimes too, and I often feel like I’m just a bit of a sensitive soul and I don’t really like people not liking me. I dunno why, I just hate that someone dislikes me. But I promise you, the majority of the time, it’s all in your head. I know it was in mine. Employees tend to feel like they can snap at each other, because they know they can’t at customers. We shouldn’t, and it’s wrong, but maybe people acting like that around you shows, that actually, your colleagues feel comfortable enough around you to not put an act or persona on?

Regardless, your feelings are still valid, and I understand how hard it can be. My mentality is always that I won’t sacrifice my mental health for a job. You might not be in the position to just quit a job, but if you are then I know I’d always take it. A job is never worth getting yourself worked up over, and you deserve to be happy.

Sorry, I know this was long, but I hope it helps in some way, and I wish you the best! <3
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    A little update, I was going to leave it and not talk to anyone but one of my friends told me that the other supervisors were still saying stuff behind my back. So I mentioned it to my fave manager, she told me that none of the managers are thinking anything like that and that I should probably just ignore the other supervisors as the only problem they really have is that I do things in a different way to them. It’s made me feel a lot better to know that the managers don’t think I’m doing a bad job.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. Reassurance like that can go a long way :heart:

Working in retail can be so stressful, so sending hugs your way. Whenever you feel anxious at work, try and think back to the advice from your manager. If they saw areas for you to improve, they'd tell you. So if they're not saying anything, and are giving you positive feedback like that, then it sounds to me like you're doing a great job and much better than you realise :blush: You've got this! :heart: