Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anxiety without intrusive thoughts?

kaypoppitkaypoppit Posts: 17 Settling in
Hello all,

I’ve lately been dealing with intrusive thoughts and the anxiety and nauseous feeling that comes with them. I’ve gotten pretty okay at learning to ignore the thoughts now, and learning that that’s just what they are: thoughts. They’re not reality, and just because I think something doesn’t make it real. I’m also in therapy at the minute, but still fairly new at it as I’ve only just had my third session. My therapist is lovely and knows about my intrusive thoughts and is being very supportive.

However, lately I’ve been waking up with a lot of anxiety, even though I’m not having the thoughts? It feels like my body is almost bracing itself for the thoughts to come, but because I’ve gotten pretty good at ignoring them, the thoughts never come, and I’m just left with a big ball of anxiety to deal with all day. It’s really horrible, because distracting myself only works around 50% of the time, and it can be really demotivating for the rest of my day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know how to stop the anxiety and sickly feeling from flaring up when there’s no need for it to? Or even just some tips on how you got through it if you couldn’t completely get it to go away?

Just to add, I’m female and 24!

Thanks so much in advance if you take the time to respond! <3

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @LorryTruck

Thank you so much, I don’t mean it in a bad way, but I’m glad somebody can relate to me, although I do truly feel for you because I know what you’re going through. Thanks for the advice, not many distractions seem to be working at the minute, so I think I just need to find the one that really, really takes my mind off it. The tricky part seems to be finding it <3
  • Options
    @zaynab_5

Wow, so many tips!! Thanks so much. I think I’m giving myself a hard time, I really resonated with “put your thoughts into perspective, are they really that bad?”. Maybe if I get into the mindset of “a bit of anxiety is normal” and “these thoughts won’t go away overnight, I’m doing my best”, I’ll feel a little better because I’m not putting pressure on myself so much. Thanks again, I’ll be doing some deep thinking on what you’ve said, I think <3