Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Panic attacks

lovenature773lovenature773 Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
Any advice on panic attacks, it takes me about 20-30 to calm down and I haven’t told my parents so I have to hide it most of the time
I fear not the dark
But what may lurk within

Comments

• lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Speaking from a personal experience, when I get a panic attack, I close my eyes and focus on my breathing. Then I do slow breathing exercises. It helps when when I count my breaths as I go along. There are lots of breathing exercises you can try!

Once I'm somewhat calm, I focus onto grounding techniques:

5-4-3-2-1
    • FIVE: - 5 things you see around you. It could be anything - a poster, a shoe, cloud, the sky, etc.
    • FOUR: - 4 things you can physically touch. Your clothes? Your feet touching the ground?
    • THREE: - 3 sounds you can hear - car running? Someone speaking? Echoes?
    • TWO: - Two things you can smell - depends where you are. Maybe you can smell fresh air, or fumes, etc.
    • ONE: - One thing you can taste.

Sometimes I list five colours I can see. It helps!

Here - https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/behavioral-health-partners/bhp-blog/april-2018/5-4-3-2-1-coping-technique-for-anxiety.aspx

3-3-3 Rule
    • Three things you can see
    • Three sounds you can hear
    • Three parts of your body

It helps if you write your thoughts down too - what happened? What went through your mind, What are you worried about? Give some time to yourself to reflect on your thoughts and feelings.
  • lovenature773lovenature773 Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    lovemimoon wrote: »
    Speaking from a personal experience, when I get a panic attack, I close my eyes and focus on my breathing. Then I do slow breathing exercises. It helps when when I count my breaths as I go along. There are lots of breathing exercises you can try!

Once I'm somewhat calm, I focus onto grounding techniques:

5-4-3-2-1
    • FIVE: - 5 things you see around you. It could be anything - a poster, a shoe, cloud, the sky, etc.
    • FOUR: - 4 things you can physically touch. Your clothes? Your feet touching the ground?
    • THREE: - 3 sounds you can hear - car running? Someone speaking? Echoes?
    • TWO: - Two things you can smell - depends where you are. Maybe you can smell fresh air, or fumes, etc.
    • ONE: - One thing you can taste.

Sometimes I list five colours I can see. It helps!

Here - https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/behavioral-health-partners/bhp-blog/april-2018/5-4-3-2-1-coping-technique-for-anxiety.aspx

3-3-3 Rule
    • Three things you can see
    • Three sounds you can hear
    • Three parts of your body

It helps if you write your thoughts down too - what happened? What went through your mind, What are you worried about? Give some time to yourself to reflect on your thoughts and feelings.

Thank you so much it helps! I know the 3 rule but I’ll try the 5 aswell and reflecting. My latest one I wrote down (in shaken handwriting) ‘I want to live’ it just helped a lot those 4 words can effect so much. My breathing is scattered when it happens and I can’t breathe half the time but I’ve recently told my online friend about everything and he wants to support me anyway. Thank you @lovemimoon
    I fear not the dark
    But what may lurk within
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    I'm really glad to see that @lovenature773! :3<3

I hope everything is okay! <3
  • m3gan04m3gan04 Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
    Try downloading the app clear fear

• information on anxiety

• A space for self monitoring the regularity and severity of panic attacks

• Make safety net so during times of crisis you can remember who to contact

• Recommended website links

• Recommended books to read in relation to anxiety

• Help managing worries (step by step, worry box, challenging worries, avoidance/obsessive worrying)

• Help dealing with emotions (ways to express yourself, stay calm, laugh/smile)

• Help responding physically (set exercise goal, balanced diet, sleeping, relaxation)

• Breathing activities / panic attack grounding help
  • lovenature773lovenature773 Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    m3gan04 wrote: »
    Try downloading the app clear fear

• information on anxiety

• A space for self monitoring the regularity and severity of panic attacks

• Make safety net so during times of crisis you can remember who to contact

• Recommended website links

• Recommended books to read in relation to anxiety

• Help managing worries (step by step, worry box, challenging worries, avoidance/obsessive worrying)

• Help dealing with emotions (ways to express yourself, stay calm, laugh/smile)

• Help responding physically (set exercise goal, balanced diet, sleeping, relaxation)

• Breathing activities / panic attack grounding help

Thank you! I will have a look at it later today!

I fear not the dark
    But what may lurk within
  • AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    Hi @lovenature773

I second what @lovemimoon and @m3gan04 have said :)

Depending on the situation and type of attack, I try to find a comfortable place where I feel safe and secure. A very similar grounding technique I do is working through the alphabet, either listing things I can see that start with the same letter, or random things like animals or countries.

Everyone is different and each person has their own techniques that work. They might also take practice so please don't feel overwhelmed if not everything works first time. The most important thing is finding what is right for you and for you to feel in control <3
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.