Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Talking to teachers

laurakate_laurakate_ Posts: 14 Settling in
Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice they can give for opening up and speaking to teachers about deep thoughts.
I've opened up in the past but this was over email and this time I want to speak face to face, I just find it so hard. As I know that whatever I tell them, they legally have to pass it on to my parents. If I wanted my parents to know, I would've spoken to them in the first place.

Hope someone out there has advice for me and this might help other people too!

thanks

Comments

• Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • laurakate_laurakate_ Posts: 14 Settling in
    edited May 2021
    @LorryTruck yes I've thought about that and probably going to do it but I only have 3 weeks left as I'm in year 11 so is there any point

TW: suicide
    what do I say though because they know I struggle in school ect with behaviour and everything but I've never actually told them about suicidal feelings because as a school we've just recently lost another pupil to suicide so I don't want them stressing or anything.
    Post edited by JustV on
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    yes, I have thought about going to my GP and now that I'm 16 I can make my own appointments. but I think appointments are over the phone now.
    how can I be sure that they won't pass anything on to my parents?
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hey!

The GP has a doctor-patient confidentiality rule. So they can't tell your parents anything you've told them. If you're still worried then you can discuss this with your GP.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Just following on from @lovemimoon's point, there's some great info here about what doctors can and can't tell your parents when having a mental health based appointment (under "know your rights" and "confidentiality")! :heart:

@lovemimoon @coc0mac thanks guys, I'll have a look at that now.
    I find it so difficult to open up about my mental health so I find it easier to write it down in an email for example. telling teachers is great but they can't professionally help you, they only pass it on. I once sent an email to my teacher (which my parents didn't know about) and it ended up with social services getting involved because my teacher legally had to pass the information I told her on. I don't want that to happen again so that's why I just never tell anyone anymore.
    No worries!
    Do you have a safeguarding officer?
    @lovemimoon yes we do and the perosn who has helped me the most this year is her. We have two and they’re actually married so whatever i tell one probably gets told to the other
    @laurakate_ That's good! I was going to recommend talking to your safeguarding officer about what's been going on but I'm happy to see that she's been helping you!
    @LorryTruck They'll pass information on to your parents if they believe you might be at risk or in danger. It's been a while since I've been in school so correct me if I'm wrong but they'll also refer you to other mental health services?
    @LorryTruck Thank you!