Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Long term depressive looking for another LTD to chat about life and stuff

Hi folks,
My name is Anna, I’m a big fan of cooking and watching documentaries about cooking, art, fashion and all things nature. BUT I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety since my teens. Being 23, its hard to accept that I still suffer from it even now. Although I have a few more coping mechanisms than I did before, having tried a whole host of different treatments, I still feel entirely at the mercy of illness and that my health is fragile. Are there any people out there that have had such long term depressive episodes? It’s been so long now that I find it hard to bring it up with the people around me, almost like I’m a broken record. I struggle to feel understood too, like my condition is not fully acknowledged. Can someone point me in the right direction, maybe to forums where there are people with similar situations?

Comments

• lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hey @Anna!
    Firstly, welcome to the Mix! :3<3

I relate to what you're going through. <3
    I often feel like I'm trapped in a cycle of depression. Even when I'm okay and feeling positive, it doesn't feel right? I believe it's only a matter of time before I hit rock bottom again. Comfortable with feeling like shit, basically.

It's hard to accept that this is what you're going through but strangely enough, I feel like acceptance brings you the kind of peace you'd never except.

In terms of forums - I believe that this is the beauty of the Mix, there's no specific category. You have broad forums like 'Sex and Relationships' and you can pretty much post whatever you want related to the topic if that makes sense. There are no guidelines (except the ones the Mix has, of course!) and people will support you, relate to your struggles and so on. <3
  • anna_11anna_11 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thank you for responding and for welcoming me :)
    I guess the hardest part is to accept that this is the reality and you are who you are, even if that means you are cyclical with your mental health.
    I’ll have a look at the other forums, I think the relationships one might help too, cheers!
  • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 751 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi Anna sending lots of hugs.
    I haven’t had long term depressive episodes but when I’m struggling with things I find writing things out super helpful. I hope you do to. We’re here for you.

And as well as the boards there’s also support chat every night at 8:00 it’s a great place to talk and get advice too.

Always happy to listen if you ever need anything <3
    You're awesome!
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    No worries, @anna_11

Acceptance is a hard journey - coming to terms with the pain and suffering that comes along with depression is... painful. And that's an understatement.

I'm here if you want to talk. The Mix is here if you need a safe place. <3